Bristle Worm, etc...

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

YoungMrHoward
Larva
Larva

Bristle Worm, etc...

Post by YoungMrHoward »

Today I bought a dwarf blue legged hermit crab for my Hawaiian red shrimp gallon aquarium. I am currently acclimating the crab to brackish water since it was in full salt water when I bought it. It seems to be doing fine. The pet store threw in two "empty" shells for future growth. I personally believe these shells are too large and too few. At any rate, I have discovered what I assume is a small bristle worm living in one of the shells. My aquarium presently has one nerite snail and two shrimp. I plan on adding at least 8 more shrimp and macro algae. I had the water tested today. It is "perfect".

So here come my questions: 1. Can a bristle worm live in brackish water? 2. Is a bristle worm a threat to my other animals in any way? 3. Where can I get small enough shells for my hermit crab? I don't want him to go after my nerite.
YoungMrHoward
Larva
Larva

Re: Bristle Worm, etc...

Post by YoungMrHoward »

I'm sorry this was posted twice. It was not deliberate and I don't know how to undo it.
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

You can get a truckload of small nerite shells on ebay. All sizes and colors. I think amazon has them too.
YoungMrHoward
Larva
Larva

Post by YoungMrHoward »

Thanks Harry. That is very useful information. I'm going to order some very soon.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the bristle worm?
YoungMrHoward
Larva
Larva

Post by YoungMrHoward »

Well... The bristle worm died. But my shrimp aquarium is doing well. When I have enough moneys more shrimp and macro algae will enter the picture.