First tank in a long time

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

BadKarma
Egg
Egg

First tank in a long time

Post by BadKarma »

Hi folks!!

First post here and I'm glad I found this community. I kept fish for years quite a long time ago and am planning to get back in. I love Bettas, but have become fascinated with Inverts and shrimp especially.

So I am planning to setup a 14g, 20"L x 10"D x 16"H, for a shrimp only planted tank. I have a couple pieces of driftwood on the way, but the reason I am posting is that I want to "build" a partial rock wall with ledges jutting out. What can I use to "glue" the rocks together that won't endanger the shrimp?

I am forced to use CF lamps for now, any suggestions for a planted tank? I've read a lot about this issue, but every other bit of information counters the bit before, so I'm not sure of the best way to go. A new hood may be coming later.

I was thinking that a soil base substrate topped with gravel on one side and sand on the other surface. Is this okay? I'm pretty sure it's okay, just want confirmation.

Will maybe add Oto's later if I can find any. Otherwise may add other Inverts at a later time.

Thanks everyone.
BadKarma
Egg
Egg

Re: First tank in a long time

Post by BadKarma »

Also, "AquaBid" is EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody save me!! :smt006
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

Hello.

Use special silicon for aquarium as a glue. Or a thing like that, I dont know how you name it in english, it was designed to close wounds without poisoning the patient. You know that little drop that stick you fingers in one instant until you cut your own skin :smt005

CF lamp (with hot color better) are just OK, special light for aquarium is almost only marketing.
BadKarma
Egg
Egg

Post by BadKarma »

thanks for the reply Stalker.

I've decided to setup this tank in the Walsted manner. This is gonna be fun!!!