Opae Ula Are Not Bright Red/How to Transfer Opae

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

LTE
Egg
Egg

Opae Ula Are Not Bright Red/How to Transfer Opae

Post by LTE »

Since August 2012 I have had a small ecosystem set up in my office at work with 9 opae in a 7 inch glass block. They were shipped to the mainland from Hawaii. They have never been bright red. Some are light red, some more pink, and some gray. They are very active though, and within the past month they hatched two sets of babies, so I figured they must be doing OK. I ordered some opae for my child this Christmas and when they arrived I saw how bright red they were and it made me wonder if my opae are really healthy and happy. Any comments or suggestions on if their color is a problem and things I should be checking would be appreciated.

Does anyone know how many opae a 7-inch glass block can safely hold? With the two sets of new babies, I probably have between 20-30 now, so I am wondering if I need to transfer them.

Also, if anyone has suggestions for how to safely transfer opae to another container I would appreciate it. The glass block has a narrow opening and I don't think pouring them out would be safe.

Mahalo!
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Opae Ula Are Not Bright Red/How to Transfer Opae

Post by Harry »

I find the color variation to be quite natural. Some of my Opae are brilliant red while others are pale or clear. A seven-inch square block is rather small and I estimate it can safely hold 25 Opae. I also believe they will not multiply beyond their environmental restraints, so you should be okay. And your block can house five Nerite snails to help keep the tank clean. And you should add some of Mustafa's macro-algae to pull nitrites from the water.
LTE
Egg
Egg

Post by LTE »

Thank for the reply. It is helpful. Where can I get the macro algae?

I'm concerned about putting snails in there since the tank is so small. But I can see how it could help clean the glass. Won't they multiply?
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

You get the macro-algea here from Mustafa. Click on the petshrimp store tag above. As for nerite snails, you get them from shrimpmart.net, pipipi nerite snails. They won't multiply. If they do it will be minimal. They do not overrun the tank like trumpet snails.