calcium supplementation for shrimp?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

deedee71
Egg
Egg

calcium supplementation for shrimp?

Post by deedee71 »

hello

I read somewhere not to use calcium sand with shrimp, which I don't understand, because I thought that shrimp need calcium to shed? also, I read people feeding bloodworm to their shrimp, but I thought if you fed them protein they die ?

I am so confused :(

please help a noob lol x
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: calcium supplementation for shrimp?

Post by Mustafa »

I would recommend spending a few hours doing some research on this site and, especially searching the forum with the right keywords as many, or most, of these topics have been discussed many times before. Calcium per se is not a problem...if you use a calcium *carbonate* substrate, it will over time increase kh levels to possibly extreme levels, which, in turn, will increase pH to levels where ammonia predominates and kills your shrimp. Shrimp are much more sensitive to ammonia than the vast majority of fish. This may be a little bit too much info for a noob...but it's necessary. If you don't understand parts of it, just look up the keywords in your favorite search engine...or directly here. :-)
shrimpgal
Egg
Egg

Post by shrimpgal »

Are speaking of things like a birds cuddle bone ? Because since I've put one in my RCS 10gal, my shrimp don't get that crack in the middle, fron side to side an die. I only have a part , not the whole cuddlebone. PH is 8.0. But my tap water is 8.4
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Are your shrimp breeding? At those pH levels it seems unlikely any babies would survive. What are your kh levels?