CRS w/ green eggs

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

CRS
Egg
Egg

CRS w/ green eggs

Post by CRS »

So I have 7 CRS in 10gallon aquarium it is fully cycled, filter in functioning very well, so as the heater and aerator.
I know how to take care of CRS but not the CRS with eggs. So I have some questions.

Are CRS with eggs capable of loosing them in such stress?
Are CRS eggs gonna hatch even without them being under the mom?
What are the basic care for pregnant CRS?
Tips?
chelsea.adell
Egg
Egg

Re: CRS w/ green eggs

Post by chelsea.adell »

CRS are easy to care for as long as the tank is well filtered and you dont over feed. I have a 10 gal nearly overpopulated with them(had to start another tank) they are like all dwarf shrimp in that you should NOT feed foods with copper as its toxic to them, but they will eat pretty much anything, flakes, algae pellets, their dead comrades, decaying plants, even shrimp pellets. Theyre scavengers and cleaners and like soft algae and really enjoy dried seaweed. They do need very clean water, spring and RO are your best options but tap works if treated properly. They prefer lots of plants and places to hide, ESPECIALLY when pregnant. It takes about a month for the eggs to be released and that sometimes takes a couple days. The babies come out ready to rock, fully functional miniature shrimp, but crushing flake food makes it easy for them when theyre tiny(less than 1/8 of an inch when they first hatch) with floating food I kinda swish it into the water so it sinks instead of floats. Yes the females are capable of dropping eggs for any number of reasons, and they will be picked up and eaten. I have read of people hatching eggs after the female died with egg tumblers, but just sitting somewhere they will not hatch because they need to be kept clean and moving, thats why the female fans her pleopods almost constantly while berried. They dont really need any special care, with clean water and adequate food they are content and breed readily. I hope this is helpful, when I first started I was antsy about pregnant ones but they do fine left with the rest(unless there are fish with them, because theyll eat them right up!)