help with a pregnant fancy shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

chelsea.adell
Egg
Egg

help with a pregnant fancy shrimp

Post by chelsea.adell »

Ive recently become interested in the shrimp hobby. I started with a few ghost shrimp and 1 RCS and ended up with a 10gal ghost shrimp tank with numerous aults and 30+ baby ghosties & 2 guppies and a 10gal fancy shrimp tank because I obtained a pregnant crystal red shrimp and I read that ghost shrimp will eat the babies, so into their own tank they went. The fancy shrimp tank now contains an adult female CRS (not the one I bought pregnant, she died the day after releasing the babies, but luckily the LFS had another one when I went back) 1 (mixed)red cherry, 1 female tangerine, 2 malawa, and 2 (what I believe are)pearl blue shrimp, 1 male and 1 female<the pregnant one(noticed she was berried christmas eve, one of other shrimp in the tank is responsible, is it likely its the other blue one?), and ~25 baby CRS(released december 14th) the ones I mentioned to be females are ones I can see a saddle, the others im unsure. When the CRS had her babies I put her in a 1 gal container and floated it in the tank doing daily water changes 1 cup at a time a few times a day and as far as I can tall all the babies lived. The tank is planted with egeria, crystalwort, a banana plant, a moss ball specifically for the baby shrimp, and a mystery seed thats growing dark grass like leaves. What I want to know is now that the tank is strictly fancy shrimp am I safe to let the female release her eggs into the tank or do I need to take her out towards the end of her gestation? I read that fancy shrimp dont prey on even the babies of others but im not beyond wanting a second opinion, ive become very attached to these little buggers and I dont want them getting snacked on. As I said I managed to keep all the baby CRS and id like to do the same for the blue pearl shrimp as well. Any information or experiences are appreciated! Thank you!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: help with a pregnant fancy shrimp

Post by Mustafa »

Welcome to the forum..not sure what the specific question is. There are years worth of experiences in this forum, so I'd start with performing a few searches and browsing various topics.
chelsea.adell
Egg
Egg

Post by chelsea.adell »

Thank you. :-D I have since had luck with the fancy shrimp and theyre breeding steadily. I had to set up another tank because they overpopulated my 10 gal. My new problem is breeding whisker shrimp. Haha
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Do you have any pictures of the whisker shrimp? There are a few species that are called "whisker shrimp" but usually it's Macrobrachium lanchesteri.