Help sexing Sakura shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Fishcake76
Egg
Egg

Help sexing Sakura shrimp

Post by Fishcake76 »

Hi,

I know there are lots of threads regarding sexing shrimp but I just want clarification on one of my yellow Sakuras. I thought it was a female (was sold as a female) but I have had her for about 6 weeks and she has not been berried and two of my other females have been.

I don't know if the photo is clear enough but it's abdomen does not extend over it's swimmerettes and I have seen no evidence of a saddle

If this is the case, then one of my blues who I have named Betty, may need to be renamed Basil!!! Which leaves me with three males and two females. Plus lots of babies of unknown gender!!

FC76
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (4.43 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (5.56 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Help sexing Sakura shrimp

Post by Mustafa »

I can barely see the shrimp in the tiny picture, but still enough to be 99.99% sure that it's a female. If you want 100% certainty you'd have to post a larger picture.
Fishcake76
Egg
Egg

Post by Fishcake76 »

Hi,

Yes, sorry about the photos. My resizing app is being silly!!!

I hope this may be better!

If she is a she, can you think why she hasn't yet become berried?

FC76
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.41 KiB) Viewed 1509 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (28.39 KiB) Viewed 1509 times
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Ok...that's 100% a female. :) It's hard to say why a female hasn't become berried yet. Maybe she was immature when you got her, or maybe she just didn't eat as much as the other..or the hormones in her body are different. I'd just wait...if the conditions are right she'll start carrying eggs sooner or later. :)