Need help to identify this shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

ShrimpingAintEasy
Egg
Egg

Need help to identify this shrimp

Post by ShrimpingAintEasy »

Purchased some type of a supposed shrimp. It was listed as a butterfly shrimp at my local fish store, but I can't find anything about it online. Looking for any input on what it might possibly be. He or she is approx. 2 inches long and light brown. Picture included. (In the process of moving in so the tank is not fully set up yet)
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Need help to identify this shrimp

Post by KenCotigirl »

Looks like a filter feeding shrimp. Bamboo shrimp.

Ken
ShrimpingAintEasy
Egg
Egg

KenCotigirl wrote:Looks like a filter feeding shrimp. Bamboo shrimp.

Ken
After googling images and comparing, it certainly seems like you are right! Thanks for the help!
hardware_failure
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by hardware_failure »

While its not exactly a perfect example to view from, definitely most likely "bamboo" or "Singapore" shrimp (Atyopsis moluccensis)

They typically have a prominent white stripe down their back, but they also can change color quite a bit from near all white to bright red to nearly all brown.

I have 2 of these in a nano community shrimp tank. It is a very unique and interesting shrimp. Assuming they get enough food from the water column, they seem to be a very hearty and easy to keep species. One of the keys is to have at least a medium flow in the tank ie from a filter return. That is where they will spend 90%+ of their day, filtering out the water from the highest flow area.
ShrimpingAintEasy
Egg
Egg

I currently have two aquaclear 20s running in my 20gallon high. Do you think this is enough movement in the water?
hardware_failure
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by hardware_failure »

Yes, that should be more than enough - the most important thing is to provide some sort of a "perch" whether it be a plant leaf, driftwood, decoration etc. that is high enough for them to climb on top of to stand as close to being in the direct outflow as possible. Sometimes they will fight (not violently, more push a little bit) or even climb on top of each other to get the best spot, kinda funny to watch.
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Mech »

i have kept these wood/bamboo shrimp before and they must have perch/ledges to sit up high in the water streams to catch their food. If they are on the gravel scraping food it is a bad sign as they will damage their fans.

if you need any more info just ask.