Beginners' Frequently Asked Questions

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

shrimpman75
Egg
Egg

Re: Beginners' Frequently Asked Questions

Post by shrimpman75 »

OK. well I read a bit more faq's on ur website and found the answers to my questions. :-D
Dante16
Egg
Egg

Post by Dante16 »

wow. i am amazed by this. this is first time i heard shrimps are kept as pets as none of the people around me keeps one. How is it like keeping shrimps, may i ask?
jayr232
Larva
Larva

Post by jayr232 »

Also Myth or Fact that anubias and crypts are harmful to shrimps
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

They are usually not harmful, but if you get them from the store, especially in those dry plastic tubes grown emersed, they may have traces of pesticides on them. I would thoroughly rinse *any* plant I buy, preferably soak it in water overnight.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

Crypts, i hear, can release a toxic sap if trimmed inside the tank. it is recommended to remove the plant before trimming, and wait for the cut to heal before replacing into the tank.
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Mech »

I have anubias in my community tank, the shrimps love it as the leaves are very long lasting so host lots of food on them, I cut the leaves and stalks of the flowers from it and have not seen any problems.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The only time I have seen problems (shrimp deaths) with plants like Anubias was when I purchased them in those plastic containers where they were clearly grown emersed. It seems like there are pesticides (or whatever chemicals used while growing them) on them and unless you soak them for a day or two in a bucket with water they *will* kill your shrimp. Other than that I have not had any problems with trimming them underwater.