Advice on dwarf crayfish filters

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Advice on dwarf crayfish filters

Post by Varanus »

I've really enjoyed getting started on my supershrimp tank and now I intend to set up a tank for freshwater invertebrates (plan on including amano shrimp, golden rabbit snails, and a small colony of Cambarellus shufeldtii due to their relatively peaceful reputation) in a 20 gallon long. Assuming this is a reasonable set up then the question is what kind of filter I should get? Some sites are saying a small power filter with some kind of intake cover would be good but others note a sponge filter is another option. What do you use? I have no experience with sponge filters, but it sounds like they may create a better overall environment for invertebrates (and unlike a power filter I wouldn't need to make a opening in the tank large enough that small crayfish could potentially escape through) provided I keep up with water changes. I'm asking here because presumably the crayfish are the ones who would need a power filter if a power filter is needed.

My concern would be the crayfish (and possibly snails) may tear apart the sponge in no time. My male redclaw cray has over time chewed up a fair amount of the floating plastic plants in my big tank, but I know the dwarfs are different. But if they will destroy it then a sponge filter seems to be counterproductive, and I must ask if there is a power filter cover that would be crayfish proof to some degree?

Thanks in advance.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Advice on dwarf crayfish filters

Post by Mustafa »

You can use any filter that won't allow the crayfish or their young to be sucked up into the filter. Power filters with sponge filters attached to the intake are an option, but so are internal filters. Even low flow powerheads with filter sponges attached to the intake work really well. The dwarf crays generally don't chew up sponges. They only do so if lots of gunk has accumulated in the sponges and the crayfish try to get the gunk inside the sponge by chewing on the sponge. In general dwarf crayfish are not destructive..unlike the their much bigger cousins.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Mustafa wrote:You can use any filter that won't allow the crayfish or their young to be sucked up into the filter. Power filters with sponge filters attached to the intake are an option, but so are internal filters. Even low flow powerheads with filter sponges attached to the intake work really well. The dwarf crays generally don't chew up sponges. They only do so if lots of gunk has accumulated in the sponges and the crayfish try to get the gunk inside the sponge by chewing on the sponge. In general dwarf crayfish are not destructive..unlike the their much bigger cousins.
Thank you, but on that note would a single air driven sponge filter (designed for a 20 gallon aquarium) be enough or would I need something more substantial? Is there a brand of internal filter or sponge filter that you would recommend as superior to most?

If I can avoid it I probably will avoid a HOB filter, as I've had crayfish escape via them in the past when I've underestimated their ability to get through gaps, and the tiny size of these crays makes it seem like it would be even harder to block them. I'm also not sure how best to attach a sponge to such a filter either (I know I could just tie one on).

Sorry for so many questions, I try to cover all my bases.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

No problem at all, no need to apologize. Yes, a single sponge filter will be enough. These animals don't produce that much waste/ammonia (although they are sensitive to even tiny amounts of it). As for brands...I think any brand is pretty much good. I've only used one brand (ATI hydro sponge), so I can't really talk authoritatively about which one is best. As for internal filters...again...the last time I used one was over 20 years ago and it was an Eheim. After that I have used powerbeads with sponges attached to their intakes as "internal filters." You can do the same with a canister filter, too (I like the Eheim Classic). You just attach a sponge to its intake...done.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

I ended up getting a sponge filter and attached it to a Fluval air pump. Would a power head be better in a 20 gallon or about the same? I've never used power heads but my understanding is they create some current, which may not be liked by smaller invertebrates.

On that note I have decided my invertebrate tank will probably not be including dwarf crayfish. They may usually be safe but the potential risk is still there if they are kept with a number of slower invertebrates, even if the risk is simply them muscling their way to all the food, and thus they potentially limit my options too much. My current dream tank will be populated by rabbit snails, micro crabs and a few kinds of shrimp.

So I guess my next topic will be elsewhere, many thanks. :D