1st Berried Female!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Nexus6
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

1st Berried Female!

Post by Nexus6 »

I was so happy to see my first berried female, she has like 10-15 eggs in her clutch. I cant wait to see them develop and hatch. This was right after my water levels finally stabilized. Salinity is 1.010, temp avg 76f. After observing her for a while, i noticed it seems she prefers dark hiding places. Ive also noticed some other females with green eggs in ovaries where the saddle area is and some moving even lower, perhaps moving their eggs down to where the swimmerets are. Not sure. But if one starts to breed do the others follow?
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: 1st Berried Female!

Post by Mech »

Congratulations! How long has your tank been setup for if I may ask?
mcdaney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mcdaney »

Congrats!! Another ~26 days and you shall see babies! :mrgreen: I think in their natural habitats, berried females are often unseen so it's alright if they hide and go to dark areas most of the time.
Nexus6
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Nexus6 »

Mech wrote:Congratulations! How long has your tank been setup for if I may ask?
About 2 months now
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

That's rather fast for a new setup. Congrats! If this is her first batch she may actually drop most eggs...and/or the larvae won't make it. But maybe you'll get lucky. :)
Nexus6
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Nexus6 »

Mustafa wrote:That's rather fast for a new setup. Congrats! If this is her first batch she may actually drop most eggs...and/or the larvae won't make it. But maybe you'll get lucky. :)
Yes, i think this is her first batch, i havent seen her today, im guessing shes hiding in the rocks. I hope she doesnt drop her eggs, do first time berried females usually drop their eggs?
luyisamor
Egg
Egg

Post by luyisamor »

congrats. :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Nexus6 wrote: Yes, i think this is her first batch, i havent seen her today, im guessing shes hiding in the rocks. I hope she doesnt drop her eggs, do first time berried females usually drop their eggs?
I can't say that it happens every time, but it happens frequently. Plus, even if it happened every time most of us wouldn't know as berrying and dropping eggs happens quickly one after the other and we don't sit in front of the tank 24/7. So, the "first-time mother" you observe may have actually carried eggs and dropped them before without you noticing. Lots of times they don't drop all eggs...so you end up with one or two larvae floating around in the end.
Nexus6
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Nexus6 »

I cant believe it but ive got another berried female! I think there might be more, what luck, to have berried females with a 2 month old tank. I owe my success to knowlege gained on this forum, its members and to information obtained through fukubonsai. :smt004

I hope they all hatch well and survive!
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

Exciting! i hope they all make it! :mrgreen:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

And? What happened? Are the eggs still there?
Nexus6
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Nexus6 »

Ive got 4 berried shrimp and one is giving birth, i now see 4-5 larvae swimming about. This is so darn interesting! I love these little guys.
mcdaney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mcdaney »

Nexus6 wrote:Ive got 4 berried shrimp and one is giving birth, i now see 4-5 larvae swimming about. This is so darn interesting! I love these little guys.

Awesome!
Mine not doing so well haha!

Would love to see some photos of them :-D
Nexus6
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Nexus6 »

Whoa now ive got like 15 baby larvae swimming around, happy little buggers. Ill post pics when i can.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

That's great! I still remember my own first batch of larvae...I was sooooo excited! :D