my tanks

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: my tanks

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

i think i counted 12 so far that havent made it. (including the 3 from the ride home) the lights arent on yet today (got 25/30 minuets to go on that) but the rest are looking good, getting some color even and the berried females are fanning.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Good Monday morning again! I have some great news! I finally got the 72BF and the 125RR! now if finances allow :twisted: :twisted: i will be slowly piecing my new beauties together. I am seriously debating on moving the contents of my 40B into the 72 and making that my main display tank. and then making the 40B my main shrimp display (instead of using a 55 like i was going to). Also, my glass cutters and oil are in, so i will be slicing some glass soon! i know you all love pictures, so ill get some up soon! just been so busy lately i havent been able to.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

SO! as i said, pictures are coming!! heres 5 ;) more to come. im currently working on the DIY CO2 for disp. tank (40B). ive discussed the 72BF with the landlord (my mom -_-) and thats a go. just gona be some time before its up and all. for the set up ill have a Fluval 404 (which ive read some horrible reviews on - it'll be back up filtration) and an Ehiem 2213 (currently on the 40B) along with 2 XY-2822 sponge filters with a Tetra 60 air pump for filtration. Very over filtered, but id rater have my 72BF display tank lightly planted, low tech, and crystal clear than a 40B with BBA like it is now -_-...

8) 8) 8) the rest of the pictures follow, the 72BF, the 125RR, the 2 55's... no pictures of the DIY tanks yet, as they are still panes of glass. I'll get pictures of the process :p they will all be separate, but together. ill even get some pictures of the plans as i need the input on them. im not sure weather to do them separately or as "one system". I am thinking as one system it'll be a greater challenge, all separate i can have more variety. not sure on what to do yet. (deffinately gona look for specific peoples input though)

the DIY tank dimension are:
48x9x9 (going on my 4ft rack/wire shelf with styrofoam as a base)
21x5x5 (going on my book-shelf)
15x13x6 (possibly a sump, plant grow out, or shrimp only tank) <------ need serious advise on this one.
Attachments
BBA outbreak :( DIY CO2 on its way!!
BBA outbreak :( DIY CO2 on its way!!
Disp. setup (cleaned today)
Disp. setup (cleaned today)
20H mosquito setup (2 recent losses)
20H mosquito setup (2 recent losses)
internal moving bed filter
internal moving bed filter
10gal ghost setup
10gal ghost setup
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

pics ;)
Attachments
Sponge filters - everyone grazes (guppies, Charles, STT, and Ghosites)
Sponge filters - everyone grazes (guppies, Charles, STT, and Ghosites)
the BBA on my Amazon Swords
the BBA on my Amazon Swords
Charles
Charles
:( terrible quality but this is the plant i took out of a local river
:( terrible quality but this is the plant i took out of a local river
algae on the new driftwood
algae on the new driftwood
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

more pictures
Attachments
55's in the driveway still.... need the proper equipment for setup. (onw will be a sump fpr the 125, one will be guppy rearing)
55's in the driveway still.... need the proper equipment for setup. (onw will be a sump fpr the 125, one will be guppy rearing)
65G(ish) DIY plywood growout tank (guppy fry and plant growout (48&quot; dual t8 light for light. will put floramax/colormax in)
65G(ish) DIY plywood growout tank (guppy fry and plant growout (48" dual t8 light for light. will put floramax/colormax in)
The JBJ Aqua light that came with the 72BF
The JBJ Aqua light that came with the 72BF
the 404 for the 72BF (along with the Ehiem 2213 and dual sponge filters. unless i should use them for the 55's and continue breeding guppies)
the 404 for the 72BF (along with the Ehiem 2213 and dual sponge filters. unless i should use them for the 55's and continue breeding guppies)
the wife called dibs..... Reef tank here we - try (come - any advise would be AMAZING!!!!!)!!!
the wife called dibs..... Reef tank here we - try (come - any advise would be AMAZING!!!!!)!!!
72BF empty (for now)
72BF empty (for now)
&quot;False female&quot; is what i call him (b the heater i swear he is a male. i have seen the gonopodium)
"False female" is what i call him (b the heater i swear he is a male. i have seen the gonopodium)
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

last picture, didnt fit in the last post
Attachments
couple &quot;false female&quot; guppies again
couple "false female" guppies again
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

so, upon observing my shrimp tank, i saw what looked like a bunch of white dust specks moving around. i thought maybe they were air bubbles, until they started moving down on the glass! so i looked closer, and for sure, they are baby ghost shrimp. and being able to move on their own, are benthic and no bigger than a period > . :smt007 :smt041 :smt040 :smt067 :smt070 :smt068 :smt071 :smt072 :smt063 :smt065 :smt074 :smt076 the fight for survival is on!
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

http://www.town.sturbridge.ma.us/Public ... textPage=1

can someone tell me what my chlorine levels are? do i base it on the 0.54, or the (0.20 to) 0.94 because its the highest number? and does it mean there is on average 0.54 ppm in my tap? im really kinda lost here. i only even ask because i'm thinking about buying some sodium thiosulphate to make my own dechlorinator as its cheap and apparently 2lbs will last a lifetime.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

I think you need to be careful. The product you are proposing to use works on chlorine. I do believe it works on chloramine. Many water supply facilities use chloramine. Check with your water company.

Ken
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Oh i see they use sodium hypochlorite. Then i guess your home made treatment should work. I like that they added UV light to disinfect. I have no idea if floride affect shrimp.

My 2 cents. You are investing a lot of money on your setups. Why not just buy a half gallon of Prime to take care of thousands of gallons of water. Concerning yourself with chlorine levels and mixing your own dechlorinator is a little much. Good luck.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

thanks for the input Ken. i know a half gallon of prime would last for thousands of gallons, but 2lbs of ST lasts hundreds of thousands, if not millions. and it costs $10.

also! i started a blog today. lol. got my first post about the very basics on so far. each day i'll do a new post about something. tomorrow will probably be more about proper location and size. eventually i'll get to water quality and actual care for animals. but not until after i get all the basics out there. feel free to check it out and leave your feed back in the comments :D

http://aquariathome.weebly.com/
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

the 72BF is up and running! ill get pictures after i finish arranging the decorations. it looks 100 times better than the 40B on the metal shelf
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

jonesinfershrimp wrote:so, upon observing my shrimp tank, i saw what looked like a bunch of white dust specks moving around. i thought maybe they were air bubbles, until they started moving down on the glass! so i looked closer, and for sure, they are baby ghost shrimp. and being able to move on their own, are benthic and no bigger than a period > . :smt007 :smt041 :smt040 :smt067 :smt070 :smt068 :smt071 :smt072 :smt063 :smt065 :smt074 :smt076 the fight for survival is on!
Those white dust specks are probably just copepods or similar animals. Larvae of ghost shrimp are actually really large and so are the benthic post larvae. that's a bunch of tanks you have there! If you're going to use the reef tank as a freshwater tank then you'll have to clean off all that coralline algae with an acid based cleaner. Had to do that before...smells really putrid. :shock:

And yes, you read the chlorine levels in your tap water correctly. That's about 1/4 the amount of chlorine/chloramine in my tap water. Hence I double dose prime.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

thanks for the feedback Mustafa! i guess i will have to keep looking for then. i have seem some larger ones that im more confident are shrimplets. are the copepods going to cause me any trouble?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

jonesinfershrimp wrote:thanks for the feedback Mustafa! i guess i will have to keep looking for then. i have seem some larger ones that im more confident are shrimplets. are the copepods going to cause me any trouble?
Nope, copepods are harmless and beneficial (they eat all kinds of "crap" and serve as food for larger things). You'll know when you see shrimp larvae. They hang upside down in the water column or sit upside down on the tank walls. Once they are postlarvae they look like miniature shrimp. There is no mistaking them for anything else.