New Tank - Diatoms vs. Green Algae

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: New Tank - Diatoms vs. Green Algae

Post by Varanus »

NYCShrimp wrote:I didn't really rinse the heater before I put it in, and my hands were clean enough. I don't think I had anything harmful on them? Would that do something like this? Not rinsing the heater (it came in a completely sealed package)? Some shrimp did like to hang out on it.
One thing to keep in mind is that the smaller the amount of water the less of a toxin is needed to do harm as it get diluted less. Something that wouldn't effect a invertebrate at all in ten gallons of water could kill them in a single gallon. So its possible that there was something minute on your hands or the heater or just in the air from using the windex that might have gotten in the water.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

NYCShrimp wrote:
If things seem to get better, I might try again with a new order in a month or 2.
Give them some time. They always get agitated when their tanks get disturbed. And the sick ones can miraculously recover fully most of the time. What you describe though definitely sounds like poisoning whatever the source, unlikely to be a cycling issue.
NYCShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by NYCShrimp »

Any tips for the quarantined sick shrimp? I have them in a Pyrex bowl with clean water and a small lava rock. They really seem to just be dying slowly, though one of them has been twitching around for a few days now (the initial "stuck" one).

There are no more "sick" ones since the water change yesterday morning, so I am hoping that helped! They do still seem agitated, though, and not happily picking like they were just a few days ago. I guess we'll see.

Ugh, I'm so mad at myself. Poor little guys. :smt010

(Side note: my FW planted 1gal continues to thrive, despite an unbelievable shipping mishap that resulted in the shrimp arriving in about 1/4 cup of water.)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I'd just put the "sick" shrimp back into the main tank. This is nothing contagious so a quarantine is not needed. It all sounds like plain old poisoning. If any of the weak shrimp die you just take them out. Other than that you can just wait. It may take quite some time for the shrimp to be active again, but eventually they should be ok.
NYCShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by NYCShrimp »

Even if they are mostly just on their backs, swimmerets extendended and twitchy? I'd be very surprised if they make a comeback from this. And, there are so many crevices in the tank that I worry I won't be able to extract them if they die.

That said, my favorite EcoSpherian, Ruby, who was the least affected sick shrimp, seems to be making a comeback. She's the only one I left in the tank.

I guess if they are still miraculously alive tomorow, I'll put them back in and just see what happens.

Should I do another water change and dilute the poison even more, or would that potentially totally upset the balance of beneficial bacteria?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

NYCShrimp wrote:Should I do another water change and dilute the poison even more, or would that potentially totally upset the balance of beneficial bacteria?
If no others are getting sick then I personally wouldn't mess with the water any further.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It's hard to say if any more water changes will help or not. I'd leave things alone if you see improvement.
NYCShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by NYCShrimp »

The remaining shrimp seem to be doing fine, and are settling down after the big water change. One molted!

The 'stricken' shrimp are still not dead, but really don't look like they've improved, either. I guess I'll just wait and see, and take them out if they die.

I'll be much more careful about making sure things are clean and thoroughly rinsed before touching anything in the tank, but I don't expect to have to do this again any time soon. I'll go heater-free for now.
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Mech »

The heater isn't a problem, it's using chemicals near the tank or in the same room. Just put some RO water on some paper towel and wipe the outside of the tank down if it's looking grubby. Start at the top and wipe downward towards the base of the tank.
NYCShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by NYCShrimp »

Update! I have counted at least 8 survivors all visible at once. They are all back to deep red and picking around, after hiding for about a week after the 75% emergency water change. It looks like everyone else pulled through! The "stricken" ones did all die, including Ruby, my favorite EcoSpherian :(

It's probably just barely too cold in NYC to order more shrimp, although it's been in the 70s the last week. What a weird fall/winter. I guess I'll have to wait until the spring to get some more buddies, but by then I will be much more confident that the little system is doing well.

Anyway, not all was lost!
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

thats unfortunate! my RO unit is supposed to be delivered tuesday, and i live in MA. hopefully we can get some warm weather in the north east and i can order some too!