Diatoms for Amanos

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

85gibson
Egg
Egg

Diatoms for Amanos

Post by 85gibson »

I have had a small group of Amano shrimp for almost ten years. At one point, I counted an extra shrimp that must have somehow survived growing in fresh water. (Yes, these are absolutely Amanos. No misidentification.)

I have had zero success growing the zoes in salt water. My latest attempt is in a heated plastic container, in commercial salt water around 32 ppm. I have a couple pounds of live rock, placed upon a sand bed, and a sponge filter operating at a very slow rate. Container is heated. I feed tiny amounts of powdered livebearer food, green water (15-20 drops), and a phytoplankton mix purchased from my local PET World pet shop, where the staff is knowledgeable and helpful.

My zoes last between 2-3 weeks, then die off, every time. I am assuming they are not getting the diatoms they need, but I cannot figure out how to get diatoms to them. Live rock and phytoplankton do not seem to do the trick. Pet store is out of ideas, as am I. Can anyone offer suggestions?

BTW, full disclosure. I have posted here before, under the name 75mav, but changed my e-mail since my last posting. Since I can't remember my old password, I couldn't access my account... It was easier just to re-register!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Diatoms for Amanos

Post by Mustafa »

Hmmm....I can look into re-establishing your old account but I'll be out of town for a while and possibly have spotty internet access. I'll take care of it when I'm back but please remind me if it doesn't happen. As for the Amano shrimp larvae...do they grow a lot during the 2-3 weeks? I mean, they must be eating something, but if they aren't significantly growing that means that the food isn't nutritious enough and over time they simply run out of energy. they basically have to be swimming in food at all times. give the 5 micron size of "golden pearls" a shot and see how that goes. It's specifically formulated for shrimp larvae although not meant to be the sole food. You'll probably have to feed at least 5-7 times a day. The *right* green water would be best, but that's not always easy to find.
85gibson
Egg
Egg

Re: Diatoms for Amanos

Post by 85gibson »

Thanks, Mustafa! I have a female ready to drop her zoes any day. I will see if I can get "golden pearls" locally. My shrimp do grow; enough that I don't need a magnifying glass to see them anymore before they succumb. I have been feeding them 2x a day, but not so they are swimming in food. I read on another site that 20 drops of green water per day was about right. I'll increase that, too.

As far as my old account, if it is a bother for you to make the change, it is not necessary. I am just as happy with 85 gibson as I was with 75 mav.

My original Amanos are around 8-10 years old now. Females have grown to over two inches in length, males just under two inches. Like crayfish, they can walk out of water, sometimes running up the inside of a net and jumping back into my tank if I am not quick enough to get my hand over the top.

At least one female has learned how to escape from my Marina holding/breeding boxes, which hang from the outside of the tank. I believe she has figured out how to crawl over the slotted plastic barrier which blocks the water return into my tank, utilizing the 1/8 inch space between the barrier and the fitted top. She must scramble over it and slide down the water return chute! Pretty intelligent behavior for a shrimp. After three seperate escapes, I put electrical tape to block the small opening, and the female that is in the holding tank has not managed to exit the breeding box for the last several days.