This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

Callatya
Egg
Egg

Future breeding pairs - housing?

Post by Callatya »

Hi all :)

I've recently acquired two species that aren't all that common in my area and I thought I'd have a try at breeding as they are both very gorgeous critters.

Sadly, my last breeding attempt ended in a headless male, so I'd really like to get this right as I don't know if I'll be able to easily get these species again.

I have a pair of Cherax tenuimanus (blue marron) and a pair of what are probably Cherax quinquecarinatus (gilgie), not 100% sure on that yet. All are rather small still, the blacks are of a comparable size, but the female tenuimanus is about 1/2 the size of the male.

Personality-wise, the female gilgie is a real little spitfire to handle, and the male is rather docile. Both of the marrons seem quite relaxed, with the small female being a tad more nervy.

So, housing.

My thoughts were to give one pair the run of a 55USG tank with a bunch of topswimming fish (unless of course they DO breed, in which case the fish will be moved out), and over-winter the other pair in a 10USG, until it warms up enough to give them the other 55USG in the garage (no hope of running that over winter, it haemorrhages heat :(, they'd be icy cold and I can't find enough information on them to know if they'd cope or not)

Can I put young pairs together or will they *cough* tear each other's heads off?

If I can, of the two pairs, which would you put in the larger tank?

Should I separate the small female marron and spend some time getting her up to size before I try introducing them, or do you think they'll cope OK? I popped them both in the one tank for a while tonight, and he was dominant, but more interested in walking over her than eating or pursuing her. Most likely that was partially due to exploring the new tank, but what would be the most likely outcome of this arrangement? headless girl?

Also, what sort of temperature would you suggest for the Cherax quinquecarinatus? I know they came out of an unheated tank that was kept at around 72*F/22*C due to room temp, but I can't seem to find much on these in aquaria, only aquaculture etc.

I've only ever had single specimen destructors and red claws before, so this is all new to me. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Photos ASAP once they settle in a bit :) I'd love help IDing the black pair, would you need photos of specific parts?

EDIT: forgot sizes!
Female gilgie: approx 8cm
Male gilgie: approx 9cm
Female marron: approx 6.5cm
Male marron: approx 9.5cm
Callatya
Egg
Egg

Post by Callatya »

Female Gilgie (i think? Wrong claws for a koonac)

Male Gilgie

Female Marron (looks remarkably like a 'blue pearl' destructor but for the big eyes, need to check ID on her as I'm not convinced)

Male Marron
thief
Larva
Larva

Post by thief »

It does quite look like a destructor. Also the marrons look awsome. I am no pro. I just got breeding pairs opf some crayfish today. But later on maybe the summer I am hoping to get a pair of Cherax Blue Moons for my 55 gallon tank. I am not to sure about cherax. But I would say that you can put a pair of them in a 55 gallon tank but no smaller. But make sure with other about this because I have no experience with these guys.
Callatya
Egg
Egg

Post by Callatya »

No worries Thief, thanks for the reply :)

I haven't ever seen the nlue moons over here, if you get a pair, please let me know :)
Newbie101
Egg
Egg

Re: Future breeding pairs - housing?

Post by Newbie101 »

I know this was a long time ago. But did you ever breed the blue marron?