New here with questions

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

tabb9512
Egg
Egg

New here with questions

Post by tabb9512 »

Hi guys,

Really just starting to learn about these little guys because I saw the BioSpheres and thought they were cool but now I'm not so sure. My main question is: is it possible to have a closed ecosystem with these shrimp that allows them to remain happy and healthy? I really like the look of the closed ecosystem but it's not worth it if it harms the shrimp and other life in there. If it is possible what would it take to make sure it's done correctly?

Thank you for your time,

Mike
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: New here with questions

Post by Varanus »

In short the ecospheres are bad news. A fully closed-off ecosystem simply doesn't work long term and only works short term because of how tough the shrimp are at enduring bad conditions. Here's a detailed account of why: http://www.petshrimp.com/opaeinfo.php

However the supershrimp are not picky about tanks in general, you should be able to find attractive ones that work. I went for a fairly large superhsrimp tank though (six and a half gallons) so someone else may be able to help you more with tiny tank suggestions.
tabb9512
Egg
Egg

Post by tabb9512 »

I had read that and understand that the bioshere is bad news, I was just wondering if there was a way to make it work well, sounds like the answer is no. Thank you for your time, I'm going to continue to read through the forums and begin planning.
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Mech »

Hi, what country are you in? i would leave the biospheres well alone... i take it you saw the thing on facebook with the Amazon link? :?

you can buy small cubes which would be alot better for them, they can get oxygen for starters :mrgreen:
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

tabb9512 wrote:I had read that and understand that the bioshere is bad news, I was just wondering if there was a way to make it work well, sounds like the answer is no. Thank you for your time, I'm going to continue to read through the forums and begin planning.
Well its not so much that it would be necessarily impossible to modify such a sphere, but by buying it in the first place you would be in effect supporting the sale of poorly conceived tanks and, more importantly, the taking of supershrimp from the wild.
tabb9512
Egg
Egg

Post by tabb9512 »

If I were going to do something I would make it myself because I don't want to pay that amount for a 9" sphere, it's ridiculous.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

As others already said, just don't do it. It doesn't work...it's false advertising.