Shrimp With Green On Back?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

NYCShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Shrimp With Green On Back?

Post by NYCShrimp »

Hey forum! I have a weird shrimp! It is very pale with some deep green patches on its back. At first I thought it might be from eating algae off the coral, but they're all eating the same thing and no one else looks like this little dude. I've attached some crappy pictures that kind of capture what's going on (I need a macro lense).

What's going on with it? Is it sick? :smt078
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Shrimp With Green On Back?

Post by Mech »

i too have some like this, some have brown/dark bits some have green looking parts. i wouldn't worry about it.
mcdaney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mcdaney »

Yup mine too. Probably is what they eat :)
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

+1 on probably what they eat. my ghosts have different colored bellies all the time from what they eat
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

I cant seem to load pictures but the green could be food within the digestive track or developing eggs. I could be wrong but i believe true white Opae ula have green eggs. Now that would be really cool.

Ken
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

KenCotigirl wrote:I cant seem to load pictures but the green could be food within the digestive track or developing eggs. I could be wrong but i believe true white Opae ula have green eggs. Now that would be really cool.

Ken
Ken is right. Seems like you have a white Supershrimp. They have green developing eggs in their ovary instead of brown ones like normal Supershrimp. Was this shrimp ever red? Is it still white?