My success story

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

NYCShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: My success story

Post by NYCShrimp »

Thanks so much for your extensive record-keeping! This has been a very fun and inspiring post to read through, as I am a new shrimp enthusiast getting ready to release 4 EcoSphere shrimp into a 1-gallon no-tech aquarium I've been cycling for a couple of months (right now it has a bunch of diatom growth and a nerite helping keep that in check). I'm looking forward to reading about your continued success, and hope to follow in your footsteps!
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

Hope you have as much fun as I've had. Keep following Mustafa's advice, and you can't go wrong.
NYCShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by NYCShrimp »

:smt006 ! So far things seem to be OK, except I stuck a Marimo moss ball in there and a nerite snail, which I know aren't recommended. I just love nerites!
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

I have not seen a berried female since the last eggs 'hatched' the end of September. The room I have the tank in is a few degrees cooler than the rest of the house, about 66-68 degrees. The shrimp quit reproducing about this time last year as well. Since the only other parameter I control is the hours of light per day, and it is controlled by a timer, I assume the difference in breeding is due to temperature. During the warmer months the room stays between 70 and 74 degrees. I'd like Mustafa's take on this.
All the shrimp are now swimming around happily enough, although they tend to migrate to the upper levels of the tank as the day progresses. In the morning they are more evenly dispersed. Are they liking the heat of the lamp?
The larvae tend to go into hiding for a couple of weeks when they become benthic. They are all out and about now.
The tank has been running for over 2 and 1/2 years. There is still plenty of algae on the substrate, and I have not added any food to the system. I had been saving some high-quality tropical fish wafer food for the shrimp, but it is getting too old--I'll have to throw it out. I'll not replace it until the algae is gone.
The macro algae has not grown much--I think the regular algae is using most of the nutrients. A few small starts of the macro are visible around the tank, but are growing very slowly. I've noticed a few strands of angel hair algae starting over the last couple of weeks, mostly in the vicinity of the original macro. I'll remove them. Interesting that it took over two years for it to become visible. Again, was it being out-competed by the regular algae?
I have about 130-140 shrimp now, from the original 9 (I bought 10, but one succumbed to the initial poor water conditions).
Regards to all, and have a nice Thanksgiving.
Brad
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Truely a great success story. Happy thanksgiving to you.

Ken
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

Time for an update. Last winter there was no reproduction at all. Then in April the shrimp went on a rampage/orgy of making babies. They slacked off with the return of cooler weather, so I thought they would repeat the schedule. This morning a female showed up berried (fifteen or so eggs)--3 months earlier than last year.
The new shrimp from last year have been growing nicely.
During the day when the tank light is on most of the shrimp will gather in the top inch of the tank, wanting a little more heat, I guess. In the summer with warmer room temperatures the shrimp are more equally dispersed.
The amount of algae has not decreased from what I can see, but I did remove the angel hair. It does not seem to be growing back yet. The macroalgae ball is not growing at all, it appears, but is staying a nice dark green color, so I guess it's healthy. Algae is not growing on the sides of the tank anymore.
Going on 3 years with no food added. I've only topped off for evaporation. I gave up on testing kits, heaters, filters, etc. when I gave my big freshwater aquarium to my son. I have no idea what my water parameters are. That is the point of supershrimp for me--very little muss and fuss.
A small spider fell into the tank a couple of weeks ago. Several shrimp went over to investigate, and nip at the struggling legs until I removed it.
Hope everyone is having a great New Year so far.
Brad
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

glad to see the shrimps are doing so well! might be earlier breeding this year because of el nino? i read were supposed to have an early spring this year anyway. doesnt seem like it with 14" of snow on the ground and more on the way though.

hope the shrimps continue to do well :) and happy shrimpin
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Thanks for the update tooth. I have two tanks that have breed like crazy over two years. They get feed 8-10 times a year. They both have been silent the last six months. Without additional feeding i believe they may have reached an equilibrium. Maybe the same with your tank.

Ken
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

A pic of the shrimp enjoying the warm 16,000 K morning 'sun'. The berried female is at the back, in the middle, near the top. She is the shrimp with the bulgy abdomen.
Yes, Ken, I had the same thought--nearing equilibrium?
I really am a crappy photographer.
Brad
Attachments
20160213_085918_resized.jpg
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Thanks for the pic of your tank Brad. Nice, clean and open. Need to trim my algae.

Ken
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

Brad, your tank looks great! It inspires me to remove some of the decorations in my tank. Or maybe set up a second tank. :-D
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

You two are kind, but I know a lot of folks don't like the minimalist look.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

:D i love it! the minimalist is good for the shrimp anyway 8) no?
mcdaney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mcdaney »

Minimalism is cool. Less is more. 8)
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

Another berried shrimp today. I noticed a little plumpness around the upper abdomen this morning, and sure enough an hour ago or so, out came the berries.
The eggs of the February berried female look to hatch soon. With no heater in the tank, the cooler temperatures in Fall, Winter, Spring slow down incubation to 6-7 weeks. In the Summer, incubation is 4-5 weeks, typically.
Maybe the tank has not reached equilibrium just yet.