MiniShrimps

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: MiniShrimps

Post by Varanus »

minishrimps wrote:Thanks, I thought I read that Nerites need salty water to reproduce, maybe it was just a certain species. Do the eggs hatch and survive? Would an Assassin snail eat/clean up the nerite eggs? I know the assassin snail would probably eat all my MTS but I also read that Assassin snails can't eat nerites. perhaps the assassin snails can co-exist comfortably with the nerite?
Assassin snails do just fine with adult nerites (at least in my experience), but as far as I can tell in my tanks they have no interest in the nerite eggs. But as far as I am aware assassin snails are completely freshwater, so they are moot for your set up.

And yes its true that nerites cannot successfully reproduce in freshwater, but that doesn't stop them from laying eggs. The eggs just don't hatch or if they do the baby snails do not survive.
So, i'm thinking one Nerite, my MTS population, and then my shrimps (of which i plan to start with ten when i order) Do you think this sounds like a good brackish water community?
Well like I said, I got no experience with nerites in a supershrimp tank. I've read a small species like the horned nerite is recommended as they eat less. But someone else may want to chime in with more helpful info. You might also want to wait until more algae has grown.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

I'm not rushing into buying any nerites, I don't even have shrimp yet! I was just curious about their behaviors and the egg laying part... I wonder if a hermit crab would eat up the useless eggs? Anyone have experience with that in your tanks?

oh, and thanks for the info about assassin snails, I did think they were ok in brackish tanks...guess not.
NYCShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by NYCShrimp »

Hi!

I've had a tiger nerite (Lyle) in my tank for a little over six months. He is pretty voracious, but tends to stick to the algae on the glass, and can't get into all the nooks and crevices on the coral and lava rocks, so he leaves plenty of food for the shrimp. I was popping him back and forth between my FW and opae ula aquarium, but I poisoned the FW with anti-worm medication and can't put my snails back in it for a while. He has grown quite a bit and is about the size of a nickel. He has never laid eggs anywhere.

I also have a horned nerite, Charlemagne, who is adorable and the size of a pea. The nerites are actually my favorite characters in my tanks, so I highly recommend getting one. I would stick to 1 or 2 horned nerites, as they are small and tend to stay small. They do an amazing job cleaning the glass, and are fun to watch. They thrive in brackish water and will be very happy as long as there's good algae growth.

I have about 30 opae ulae and the 2 nerites in a 2.5 gal aquarium. I don't have any MTS.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Nerites are definitely not an option for my supershrimp tank then. For some reason not much algae has ever grown in it. There is none visible on the glass, indeed the only signs of it (at least since the snails devoured the green tinge the surface film had for a while) is a bit of green on parts of the holey rock.
Rikatix
Egg
Egg

Post by Rikatix »

Just curious, minishrimps, did your cloudy water that you talked about on 3/7 clear up yet? I ask because I notice this morning that my tank appears to have gone from very crisp and clear to a bit cloudy or hazy. Appears like this is normal, just wondering how long the cloudiness lasts. Still weeks to go on cycling my tank :P
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Varanus wrote:Nerites are definitely not an option for my supershrimp tank then. For some reason not much algae has ever grown in it. There is none visible on the glass, indeed the only signs of it (at least since the snails devoured the green tinge the surface film had for a while) is a bit of green on parts of the holey rock.
The sides of my tank already have visible algae growing rapidly in large patches. I've seen a couple small snail trails through it low on the glass. The little MTS snails definitely don't devour it but I've only just unleashed them. I guess it could be a while before their population grows and they take care of keeping the glass clean. Most of them right now seem to dig in the substrate as opposed to climb the glass. I imagine algae growth varies in spots of the tank from time to time. I have a friend setting up a tank sort of concurrently with mine, he's three weeks behind me. But we've been setting things up in along a similar time line. Instead of ordering MTS for his tank we are going to get two nerites and see how they do. I kind of want one nerite to clean the glass and then let the MTS clean the gravel. Eventually, wouldn't they kind of each find their niche? I've read nerites don't really like the gravelly substrate so the other snails can grow and do thier work there. Everyones happy :D
Rikatix wrote:Just curious, minishrimps, did your cloudy water that you talked about on 3/7 clear up yet? I ask because I notice this morning that my tank appears to have gone from very crisp and clear to a bit cloudy or hazy. Appears like this is normal, just wondering how long the cloudiness lasts. Still weeks to go on cycling my tank :P
It took a couple days, but cleared up. Shortly after that is when I noticed a big spike in algae growth.
NYCShrimp wrote:Hi!

I've had a tiger nerite (Lyle) in my tank for a little over six months. He is pretty voracious, but tends to stick to the algae on the glass, and can't get into all the nooks and crevices on the coral and lava rocks, so he leaves plenty of food for the shrimp. I was popping him back and forth between my FW and opae ula aquarium, but I poisoned the FW with anti-worm medication and can't put my snails back in it for a while. He has grown quite a bit and is about the size of a nickel. He has never laid eggs anywhere.

I also have a horned nerite, Charlemagne, who is adorable and the size of a pea. The nerites are actually my favorite characters in my tanks, so I highly recommend getting one. I would stick to 1 or 2 horned nerites, as they are small and tend to stay small. They do an amazing job cleaning the glass, and are fun to watch. They thrive in brackish water and will be very happy as long as there's good algae growth.

I have about 30 opae ulae and the 2 nerites in a 2.5 gal aquarium. I don't have any MTS.
Thanks for the info! Charlemagne and Lyle sound cool! I read your post about his "escape" glad he made it safe and sound back home :)
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

How fast do MTS snails reproduce? How big are they when born? i received 11, now I count 12... they've only been in there for a week. i might need to recount...
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Nope there's definitely 12 now! Wow! that was fast maybe I missed one when I put them in there? or is it conceivable that I would have a new snail so soon. All of them are at least 3mm at this point. Are there likely more in my tank i haven't seen yet?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

minishrimps wrote:Nope there's definitely 12 now! Wow! that was fast maybe I missed one when I put them in there? or is it conceivable that I would have a new snail so soon. All of them are at least 3mm at this point. Are there likely more in my tank i haven't seen yet?
Most likely you missed one earlier. They can indeed reproduce fast when provided with a lot of food (hence why they are pests in many freshwater aquariums) but I don't think a newborn would grow to the same size as the others in a week. For that matter yours may not be big enough yet to reproduce.

Mine in the supershrimp tank have reproduced a few times times but the new ones grow very slowly (at least compared to the freshwater ones I once had that went crazy multiplying and forced me to remove tons of them and get assassin snails) thanks to the relative lack of food. This also keeps their numbers from growing too much.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

yeah, that's what i was thinking... I must have missed one initially because there was a really small one that I still see and it hasn't changed size much... Whew, I was nervous I was worried they would over populate before I even got any shrimp in there!
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Well it's been about six weeks since I started my tank... it's looking pretty good so far, lots of algae growth. Hopefully my shrimp order will be shipping soon! I have some questions about other tank inhabitants in a less popular spot on this forum I'm looking for some comments on.

here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5861

and here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5862

if anyone can help me out in those spots that would be appreciated. I'll get some good pics of the tank soon...
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

If I keep a hermit crab in my Opae tank do you think I need a filter? I read all sorts of conflicting stuff about crabs, are they a bit more susceptible to dirty water?
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Well it didn't take long for me to acquire and set up a second aquarium. Here is a pic of my 5.5 gallon that has been going for about 2 weeks now (picture quality isn't the greatest). It's pretty basic. I didn't want to over do it. I bought an Azoo Mignon 60 filter for this tank mostly for some moving water action, less for filtering. I did buy a small bag of Biomax for it. We'll see how that helps. My plan, after the tank is cycled, is to put the filter on a timer and have it pump for a few hours twice a day to simulate tidal surge entering into a tidal pool. I am primarily setting this tank up to house 3-5 hermit crabs but eventually it will have some nerites and supershrimp too.
IMG_20160330_213118.jpg
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Shrimps just arrived! The little pocket warmer was still warm! Can't wait to get them in the tank!!!
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Well, all the shrimp survived the journey and are happily swimming about and enjoying their new home. :D Just observing them from last night to this morning it seems many of them are regaining some color too... I'll have to bust out the D3 and get some sweet macro pics up here soon. The shutter speed on my phone is just not fast enough...

my 5.5 gal. tank has an ammonia reading of about 1.5 ppm. Nitrites and Nitrates aren't that high right now but I'd like to try to get ammonia down more quickly. Can I remove half the water and replace with new water to get it lower faster? Or wait it out?