I just switched my baby shrimp to an aquarium

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

MaryLou54
Egg
Egg

I just switched my baby shrimp to an aquarium

Post by MaryLou54 »

I was so sad because I got up this morning and saw 2 dead and couldn't find any others. Then we saw that they had gotten sucked into the filter (even thought we had covered the top inlet with a fine nylon mesh) there is apparently a small inlet at the bottom of the filtering area. Now our challenge today is to get the three that are trapped in the filter area out and back into the aquarium. My question is "Do we need to have a filter going in our new Fluvial 5 gallon tank"? I only have 10 (I hope!) shrimp left and would like to have more.

How do other people deal with this problem. Advice please:)
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: I just switched my baby shrimp to an aquarium

Post by Mech »

you dont need a filter at all :)
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

Like Mech already said, you do not need a filter. People successfully keep these shrimp in containers without heaters, air circulation, or filters. Once their habitat is established, they are very low maintenance.
How did your shrimp rescue go?
MaryLou54
Egg
Egg

Post by MaryLou54 »

Thank you very much...So we saw that most of our shrimp had been sucked into the filter side of the tank in the little compartment area. We got them out successfully with a small hose syphon. We blocked all of the holes, took out the filter and now they are happily swimming around in their new tank.
Yay!! They went through a pretty traumatic experience yesterday but by afternoon had turned reddish again and were out exploring. They are so cool to watch, we just love them..
bcoll197
Egg
Egg

Post by bcoll197 »

I have both filtered and unfiltered tanks. My hermit crabs seem to need a filter to thrive. I have had good results using a sponge filter with an air control valve in the airline so I can keep it low. I turn it off sometimes because the hum of the air pump gives me a headache. When I plug it back in, my whole tank seems to "come alive" with all the inhabitants, including the shrimp, becoming noticeably more active.
~~Barbara