Concerns about fishing line

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Concerns about fishing line

Post by Varanus »

I've never dealt with aquarium plants before and java moss for my shrimp tank will be my introduction. Everything I've read says to use fishing line to tie it down, with no clarifying lines on what kind. So does it matter? Is there any kind that could harm the shrimp as it breaks down? I found some really cheap ($1) stuff at Walmart but a warning about cancer-causing material on it made me worried.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Concerns about fishing line

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

most fishing line is made of plastics that dont break down fast at all... ive pulled fishing line out of the water where the hook has rusted off before any sign of degradation in the line shows. but as far as the molecular level goes, id find out what kind of plastic it is made of, then search if that kind of plastic is toxic. it shouldnt be, but its always safe to double check.

personally, i stick my java ferns into the "cracks" of the drift wood :p less work IMHO
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Any fishing line should be just fine...they don't break down.
mighty mite
Egg
Egg

Post by mighty mite »

You can use cotton thread. This will rot after a couple weeks but by then your moss will take hold.

Often I just press moss onto whatever I wanted it to stick to firmly and it will eventually take. That works for less precise jobs anyway.