Help to solve Crystal Shrimp infant mortality problem

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Notshrimpboy
Egg
Egg

Help to solve Crystal Shrimp infant mortality problem

Post by Notshrimpboy »

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and I have both CBS and CRS shrimps since 4-5 months ago. I am experiencing high infant mortality problem and I would greatly appreciate it if I can benefit from your experiences. My shrimps become berried and the shrimplets hatch. They seem to be grazing fine for a few days but eventually they all die off. This has been happening for about 2 months now. A photo of my tank is attached. The details of the tank setup are:
10G using Fluval shrimp & plant substrate cycling since September 2015, Mopani driftwood (1) and Cholla wood (2)
Water: 40% tap water after Brita filter, 60% RO, with 10% water change per week
Parameters: pH=6.8, TDS=125, 72 deg F
Plants: Anacharis, Java Fern, Water Wisteria, Java Moss, Duckweed
Nitrate is practically non-measurable. The duckweed growing on the top of the tank has extra long roots further indicating very low nitrate level.
Feeding: Zoomed shrimp pellets every other day and Spirulina flakes once per week
Filtration: Hydro sponge filter #1 plus additional air stone for aeration and water movement
Lighting: Multii-spectrum, high Lumen LED on about 6-8 hrs per day
Other critters: no fish, only a handful of assassin snails
I have further noticed that the frequency of shrimps becoming berried is lowering. There is something that is not right but I cannot determine what it is. Please help.
Attachments
20160213_185419978_iOS.jpg
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Help to solve Crystal Shrimp infant mortality problem

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

try bringing the ph down to 6.5 and whats your gh and kh? try also raising the temp to 73/74. sent you a link with some useful information.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Help to solve Crystal Shrimp infant mortality problem

Post by Mustafa »

I would take out the mopani and cholla wood and see if there are any changes. Given what you have said so far they may be the culprits.