Rilis stopped breeding

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Daneland
Egg
Egg

Rilis stopped breeding

Post by Daneland »

Hello I have red rilis.After I got them first time about 8 months (10 rilis) they bred ,there were constantly breeding.
In the summer I have lost quite a few of the due to high temperature and had to leave the tank unattended for nearly 3 weeks. Although the total population reached around 40-50 shrimps (mainly small shrimps)but they stopped breeding all together.Initially number of the eggs they could hold reduced,later stopped altogether and now I cant see any berries.They have saddles and time to time saddles disappear.I used to see males circling in the tank to find females but this has stopped too.Whilel they stopped breeding I found a good deal and added 10 small tigers in to the tank.Now the total population is around 50-60 shrimps but only 3-4 of them are bigger than 2 cms.I started with an intank filter and swapped later with a simple sponge filter after I saw first berried shrimp.I have added my old intank filter to help with water parameters last week. Until recently I used tap water with which has GH 18 and pH 7.8 TDS 450 ( shrimps were happy with these parameters and breeding ) I wanted to improve water quality and when did a 1/3 WC last time added pure rainwater.Now TDS is 320,amonia and nitrites are 0 and nitrate is less than 5 ppm,pH is now 7.4,tank temp is 26 C

Many thanks for your replies
Notshrimpboy
Egg
Egg

Re: Rilis stopped breeding

Post by Notshrimpboy »

I am new to dwarf shrimps myself and don't have much to suggest except to double check your water parameters with the information listed at this link. Rili parameters are shown at the the bottom of the page.

http://www.discobee.com/blogs/news/1703 ... parameters
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Go measure your kH and let us know what it is. It is a better indicator for what may be going on than ph alone. And I wouldn't use rainwater, especially if it came from a roof. I'd go with RO water.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

Mustafa wrote:And I wouldn't use rainwater, especially if it came from a roof. I'd go with RO water.
this is gold. roofs contain an amount of copper (for anti algae purposes) which will leach into the water and kill your shrimp.