new Ghost Shrimp set-up

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: new Ghost Shrimp set-up

Post by Varanus »

Well I wasn't sure before, but I am now. At least four baby ghost shrimp are living in the tank and are doing nicely. Never gave them any special food so I guess there was enough in the water for them to get past that difficult first stage. Course there being only four out of what I estimate were a couple dozen eggs indicates not a very good survival rate.
IMG_2210.JPG
A nice (relatively) clear pic of one of the babies.
IMG_2209.JPG
Not a very clear pic but a good size comparison with an adult. Circled the baby.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Good job with the four new recruits. Keep the updates coming.

Kenp
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

American ghost/glass shrimp (Palaemonetes paludosus) have larvae that develop into mini shrimp very quickly...in about a week. During that time they can eat (and survival that way is probably higher) but they don't have to. Even larvae that don't eat eventually turn into postlarvae. That's probably what happened Varanus. :)
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Mustafa wrote:American ghost/glass shrimp (Palaemonetes paludosus) have larvae that develop into mini shrimp very quickly...in about a week. During that time they can eat (and survival that way is probably higher) but they don't have to. Even larvae that don't eat eventually turn into postlarvae. That's probably what happened Varanus. :)
I'm curious then why various sites say they are difficult to breed. :?:

I find it funny that my babaulti shrimp have never bred (they're in a different tank) but my ghost shrimp and supershrimp have, despite my putting a lot less money into the latter two.