Brackish Flora

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SillyDaddy
Larva
Larva

Brackish Flora

Post by SillyDaddy »

Mustafa forgive me, but I simply cannot plagiarize so I am including a link to information for others who, like myself, want to provide the most spectacular life for their Opae Ula. I have been researching and found places with plants growing in brackish waters here in the U.S. mainland. Testing the water in certain places, I find salinity issues that I am not willing to adjust my tank to, especially because I believe my Supershrimp deserve the best. I will continue to look for these things, but I'm not giving up. I think that is enough commentary so here is the link... http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/to ... h-aquaria/
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Brackish Flora

Post by Mustafa »

I don't have an issue with links...but I have repeated it here before that most (pretty much all) of the plants that people think survive in "brackish" water will simply die at the salinities we keep the Supershrimp in. All of the plants in that link except the mangroves will die sooner or later. Some seagrass and macroalgae species may survive and a few even thrive. That's about it. Trust me...i've been doing this for a very long time and would love to tell you guys to buy all the "brackish tolerant" plants I would be offering if they actually grew in Supershrimp tanks. but they don't...because they are freshwater plants and only grow in freshwater and barely hang in there in *barely* brackish water at the higher end of freshwater and lower end of what can be called brackish. The range of "brackish" is so wide that saying "this grows in brackish water" is meaningless if salinity values aren't given.