Supershrimp in freshwater....not a good idea

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Jymkym1
Egg
Egg

Supershrimp in freshwater....not a good idea

Post by Jymkym1 »

Hello all, I currently keep cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp and was thinking about adding some opae'ula shrimp and dwarf crabs, my understanding is that these shrimp and crabs can tolerate a wide range of water conditions, I guess my question would be can they tolerate no salinity since my tank is set up for cherry shrimp? I have read of people keeping them in a freshwater environment. Thankyou
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Dwarf Hermit Crab

Post by Varanus »

Jymkym1 wrote:Hello all, I currently keep cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp and was thinking about adding some opae'ula shrimp and dwarf crabs, my understanding is that these shrimp and crabs can tolerate a wide range of water conditions, I guess my question would be can they tolerate no salinity since my tank is set up for cherry shrimp? I have read of people keeping them in a freshwater environment. Thankyou
I believe Mustafa responded to a question like this not long ago, and his impression from briefly attempting it is that the opae ula will die if kept in freshwater long term.

Really I see no reason to try keeping them in such conditions when the conditions they thrive in are so easy to make and maintain.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Supershrimp in freshwater....not a good idea

Post by Mustafa »

As Varanus said...don't do it.