Supershrimp preparation questions

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Supershrimp preparation questions

Post by Super Jess »

NancyM wrote:If you have moss growing, Mustafa says it's ready for shrimp. I didn't test and mine are absolutely doing great! They are such fun to watch! It takes them 3 days to get to you, that's not a long wait and well worth it. :D
Hahaha I was just thinking today about rolling the dice and ordering the opae sans testing! Mostly because 1) the closest shop with test kits is 45 mins away and that's 1.5 hours round-trip and I am lazy, and 2) the "algae-is-growing-so-must-be-ok" method seems to be sort of unofficially sanctioned by Mustafa :lol: I think he ships on Mondays or Tuesdays, so may have a scotch and see how I feel on Sunday! :-D

The snails haven't tried to escape, water cleared up after about 6 days, green tinge on the rocks is increasing so feels relatively low-risk. Underwater webs have reappeared, but doesn't seem like a Big Deal (hope those aren't famous last words).

Funnily enough, in most things I am a "must gather all available data before making informed decision" person, but the promise of opae must be making me reckless enough to consider foregoing testing :P

When the opae do arrive, can one just throw them in? I've killed a lotta fish in my time, but I do remember they liked to be gradually acclimated to the new tank water. Are the opae the same way?
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Aaaaaaaand I hatched! I'm a larva! Maybe it's a sign!!! :smt081
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Super Jess wrote:When the opae do arrive, can one just throw them in? I've killed a lotta fish in my time, but I do remember they liked to be gradually acclimated to the new tank water. Are the opae the same way?
Being brackish water animals they are adapted to experiencing and thriving with rapid changes in salinity, temperature and other water conditions, so they are (unlike most aquarium creatures) quite fine with just being poured into a new environment provided it is not a toxic environment. Likewise be sure to pour in the water they come with as it will provide a boost to your beneficial bacteria population.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

my testing was watching the algae grow and the snails not die! and from following along here, id say youre good to go :smt080 i just threw mine in today after doubling the water in the bag quick with an airline and valve. it took maybe 2 minuets total, then plopped them and the water in.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Thanks, guys! Sounds easy-peasy, just how I like things :) In the past I have used the "adapt or die" approach with everything from houseplants to my SO, with mixed results :oops:
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

I DID IT! Just placed my order for 10 shrimp (no scotch involved)! Wheeeeeeeeee!!! :smt026 :smt041 :smt048
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

:smt060 :smt068 :smt068 :smt070 :smt071 :smt075 it begins!!!
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

Exciting!!
NancyM
Larva
Larva

Post by NancyM »

Have they arrived yet???? I'm almost as excited as you are!!! :lol:
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Supershrimp Arrival!

Post by Super Jess »

They're here! They arrived this morning!!! I think I'll start a new thread since the preparation phase is over :mrgreen: Pics to follow!! I am ridiculously excited about centimeter-long sea bugs :P

Edited to say: New thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5884 :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Mech wrote:evaporation is going to be a pain in the ass with a vase, you wont stop contaminates falling in either.

Your tank is ready when its finished 'cycling' via the nitrogen cycle... not just when you get algae. Algae is a food source not a sign the water is healthy enough for Opea ula shrimp.
Mech..i've been trying to nicely tell you before that you don't know what you're talking about, but I guess I will just say it directly: You don't know what you're talking about. :-D You are of course entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't make it any more correct or well informed. The reason algae can grow is *because* the "cycle" has been completed. That's from years and years of experience and understanding of, yes, the nitrogen cycle. There is a reason why you don't see algae immediately in tanks despite plenty of nitrogen food like ammonia. Do you know why? (think about that and research it).

(And algae is soooo much more than "just" a food source...but i've also elaborated on that many times.)

So, yes...algae growth *is* a sign that your tank is ready Jess. You'll have to trust me unless you want to do the research to confirm. :) ;)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

NancyM wrote:It shouldn't be very hard to find an appropriate lid. I just wanted to also clarify my earlier post. If anyone knows how to set up a tank for these guys, it would be Mustafa. What I posted earlier was pretty much a direct quote, but just to be clear, here is the exact quote:

"Re: Popcorn of Death

Postby Mustafa » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:41 am

Done reading this thread. Ok, sounds like *something* is poisoning your shrimp slowly. It could definitely be ammonia. It doesn't even have to be measurable. That's why I don't use ammonia test kits for Supershrimp tanks. Algae are a better indicator of a "ready for shrimp" tank actually. Unhealthy levels of ammonia seem to inhibit the growth of algae so that when algae start growing in larger numbers you can be pretty sure there isn't any ammonia left. I'd just leave the tank alone at this point. It needs to find a biological balance. And while you're at i...update us. :) Hope the dying has stopped in the meantime."

You are going to have a fantastic Opae Ula home. Please keep us informed and send pics.

Thanks for posting that, Nancy! :) Appreciate your help and clarification! I can become cumbersome sometimes to repeat myself ad nauseam....I'll take all the help I can get! :smt023
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Slimy webs appear

Post by Mustafa »

Varanus wrote:It could be that its normal slime production and there just aren't enough microbes/bacteria in the water yet to break down the slime quickly (I assume that must happen, since the snails leave slime wherever they go and yet it doesn't accumulate in a mature tank).

That's all theory though, the slimy webs could be something else entirely.
I'm guessing some microorganisms formed those "webs". I've seen them before...even in freshwater. They'll disappear once the tank settles in. Aquatic snails don't really produce "slime"/mucus to move around as they are already in the water. Land snails kinda make up for not gliding on water by producing mucus. The mucus also keeps them moist.