Unknown species in my tank

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

camaronqueseduerme
Larva
Larva

Unknown species in my tank

Post by camaronqueseduerme »

I am uploading some pictures of what I believe is a medusa in my tank. I have detected its presence many times but this is the first chance I had to snap a couple of pictures (and even a video that I don't know how to upload).

It is minuscule in size, the maximum diameter of the balloon part is perhaps one third of the length of a shrimp larva. It pulsates its way to the top of the tank and the sinks down again. Its tiny tentacles seem to be retractable.

Does anyone know what type of animal this is and whetherI should do something about it?
Thanks!
IMG_3293.JPG
IMG_3291.JPG
IMG_3290.JPG
IMG_3289.JPG
IMG_3286.JPG
IMG_3285.JPG
IMG_3283.JPG
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Unknown species in my tank

Post by Varanus »

It definitely looks like a tiny jellyfish to me, but regardless I would assume it isn't going to ultimately survive in a supershrimp tank and once it passes it will serve as nutrients for the shrimp.
camaronqueseduerme
Larva
Larva

Post by camaronqueseduerme »

Thanks, Varanus. I will let it be. I see them once in a while, but they are always very small, so I guess once in a while a new one is born and then dies quickly.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Are they still around? And do you have any idea how they might have gotten into your tank? (live rock?)