buying fire red shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

fuzzbaby
Egg
Egg

buying fire red shrimp

Post by fuzzbaby »

been looking to buy fire red shrimp on the web. been looking at shrimp farm,shrimp usa, aquatic arts, pet shrimp,bobstropical ect
anybody bought from any of these venders and your thoughts. thanks
mighty mite
Egg
Egg

Re: buying fire red shrimp

Post by mighty mite »

I probably wouldn't go to most of these to be honest. I bought some plants from bob's tropical some time ago and I was happy.

I would consider buying shrimp there, but they don't seem to have particularly great deals or particularly great shrimp to be honest. Even his showcase fire red shrimp looks pretty low quality really.

Also I would probably skip the sakura/fire shrimp and go up to the bloody mary shrimp.

Especially since with the fire shrimp chances are good many less honest sellers will gyp you with a mix of grades which is highly annoying. Or you will get ones that don't breed true. Probably the regular red cherry shrimp from mustafa would be better than you would get for the 'special' cherry shrimp from many sellers.

For the bloody mary even the young males should be quite red, though. If not then you should get a refund.

Some places I might try:

http://www.eliteinverts.com/
Expensive but seem respected and trustworthy...and the actual pictures of shrimp look great.

http://www.alphaprobreeders.com/taiwan- ... xtra-free/
I also considered here. A little cheaper but also not quite as reliable seeming. I would probably choose the guys above instead but this is probably a decent option too.

http://omgaquatics.com/?page=bloodymary
This is probably some hobbyist guy but that is usually the best to get anyway. I have seen his aquabids a lot of times and he seems trustworthy and reasonable unlike a lot of aquabidders. Seems cheaper to go to his website than to bid on aquabid...30 bucks is a great deal for bloody mary shrimp and they look great. Also they are all at least half an inch which makes things much easier - you are bound to get some breeding right away.

Probably I will use this omgaquatics guy to get some bloody mary shrimp myself eventually, but it will be at least 3 months before I would dare to ship anything in this heat.

Also you don't need many. Five should be more than enough to quickly make a colony.

In case you don't know, shrimp travel well through the mail in general. Of course they don't do well when it is hot or cold, though!
fuzzbaby
Egg
Egg

Re: buying fire red shrimp

Post by fuzzbaby »

Thanks for your post. did a little research on the bloody mary shrimp very nice except that they don't breed true right now maybe after the breeders keep breeding them it will get more stable. so with the price so high for bloody mary's i will look for some real good painted or sakura fire reds the eliteinverts seem to have some nice ones will also check out my lfs (the reef) he has a lot of things others don't have pgmy cory's, cray fish ect. although his last batch of shrimp wasn't that good. but will keep looking and keep up on the bloody mary's. thanks again.