Overfed...I think???

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

turtle
Egg
Egg

Overfed...I think???

Post by turtle »

Wow! These little guys are hard OR I am an idiot...likely the later. So after my fiasco with the cucumber turning the water cloudy I ordered some of those algae eater tabs you guys recommended. You said to only feed a small chunk but I stupidly assumed the ones I bought were smaller than what you were talking about and put in the whole thing, about 1/2 the size of a dime. The water started getting cloudy again and I realized I had screwed up AGAIN :oops: I got out as much of the disintegrated tablet as I could. Now the water is really cloudy, slightly green and smells bad. UGGG! I am going to buy a test kit on the way home to test for ammonia. How bad is this? Will it cycle out if I just leave it alone? Fred the shrimp seems really active and the snails are staying out of the water. What should I do? I can get a pic tonight and will have results from test. I assume the ammonia is high and I should buy some of the "Prime"? Thanks for the help...I am super smart with my other pets...I am just Shrimp dumb :roll:
turtle
Egg
Egg

Re: Overfed...I think???

Post by turtle »

Update:

Ammonia, Nitrates/Nitrites, PH are all normal. So I assume I just leave things be. I assume the cloudiness and odor are normal? Thanks!
Attachments
20160706_070614.jpg
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

turtle wrote:Update:

Ammonia, Nitrates/Nitrites, PH are all normal. So I assume I just leave things be. I assume the cloudiness and odor are normal? Thanks!
You probably won't need to do much, it should resolve itself over a couple days... I would recheck the water quality parameters in a few days.
turtle
Egg
Egg

Post by turtle »

Update:

Uggg...so I tested for ammonia again on Sunday and the results are below. Greenish...$%^&%$%^*$%^$%^ :x

I did about a 60% water change and pulled out the shells, rocks and plastic plants to rinse them thoroughly.

Fred and the snails seem fine, but Fred is still very pale.

I have some algae growing and am adding water slowly back to level it was.

I think because Fred was an emergency rescue and I did not have the option to cycle the tank before hand that it is going to cycle no matter what and the ammonia will spike. Will he survive the cycle? Not sure what else to do.

PH is around 6-7. Nitrates are 0. Temp is 72. 1 gallon tank with 2 river rocks (from store), white shells and white rocks from pet store and 3 plastic plants.

Pics below. Should I get an algae ball or just let it be?

Thanks for any help!!!
Attachments
20160706_070614.jpg
20160710_081733.jpg
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

You can add some Prime to treat the water if you're worried and be sure to test again in a few days, but I really think it should be okay. Recall that these guys put up with much worse conditions sometimes for years in the eco spheres. That's no reason to not make sure the water quality improves of course, but it also means there is no need to panic and stress out.
turtle
Egg
Egg

Post by turtle »

I bought the Prime, tank is only 1 gallon so like 1 or 2 drops? Thanks!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

A few drops should be fine, but no need to be precise so long as its still a small amount. I've never heard of anything bad happening from putting in more than recommended.
turtle
Egg
Egg

Post by turtle »

Thank you!!!! :D