Supershrimp Arrival!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Supershrimp Arrival!

Post by JennyPenny »

If there is a way, I don't know it. I can never tell.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Super Jess wrote:Guess I might try it with a little bit and see what happens. Found another molt today! I was adding a little water and a second shell came swirling up from the current. Hooray! Is there a way to tell which shrimp has freshly molted? They all still look about the same to me.
Usually the shrimp that just molted hides somewhere, but sometimes you can see it right after a molt in a corner. Usually it swims a lot more slowly and just sits there recovering while "fanning" it's pleopods. If it's a female a bunch of males usually chase her around the tank in an attempt to mate with her.
NancyM
Larva
Larva

Post by NancyM »

You have some of the luckiest shrimp in the world! Congrats on your success and I can't wait to see pics of berried females from your bunch. :smt026
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Thanks, guys! So hey, I've seen lots of your pics of "berried" shrimp, but what does a "saddled" shrimp look like?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Super Jess wrote:Thanks, guys! So hey, I've seen lots of your pics of "berried" shrimp, but what does a "saddled" shrimp look like?
A dark shape under the exoskeleton behind the head of mature female shrimp. It consists of developing eggs but can sort of look like the shrimp is wearing a "saddle."
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

ive got lots and lots, thats why i have been trying to figure out how long it takes to go from saddled to berried, but i think its got something to do with moulting.
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Varanus wrote: A dark shape under the exoskeleton behind the head of mature female shrimp.
Is there a way to tell if the female is just too full or actually saddled... :?:

Super Jess - how are your shrimp doing? any berried female yet? :smt081
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Hello all, it's been a while since my last update and I have news: I just completed my move from Vermont to Southern California! Since the opae ula originally shipped from around here, I hope they will soon feel right at home. Ironic that a few months after feeling balky about ponying up shipping costs I should find myself driving them back in the direction they came :P

The good news is most of them made it safely. The sad news is two died the same day I transferred them from their big home to their travel home :( More good news is all the snails survived, and I also have a new baby snail. Yay!

Transporting the opae across the country was surprisingly easy. I used a wide-mouth mason jar and transferred some of the substrate, water, shells, and what was left of the chaeto (it had broken up into little schnitzels) from their Vermont home to the mason jar and screwed the lid on. Then I put it into a small cooler packed with bubble wrap to keep the jar from shifting. That's it! Between dark-tinted windows, a/c in the car, and making sure not to leave them in a place they could heat up too much they made the journey like champs. I took them out of the cooler every day when we arrived at our overnight location and popped them back in when we packed up in the morning.

They're still in their mason jar for now until I can find time to put together a nice new home for them, but they don't seem to mind. Their color has improved, and they are much redder than they were in Vermont. I think the warmer temps agree with them 8)
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

this is great to hear! my recommendation for a new home is a 20gal tank 8) but i always go big or go home! maybe find a 20H at a petco on the $1/gal sale. or try craigslist ;) i think im going to move soon too. this is good information to have. though i dont know how moving 40 gallons of water, thats a lot of mason jars!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Great news! Welcome to Socal! (And thanks for bringing my shrimp back! :-D )