Random (or not) shrimp death?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

NYCShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Random (or not) shrimp death?

Post by NYCShrimp »

Hey friends!

So after many many months of a happy and stable environment, and a batch of 11 babies that seem to be thriving, I've had some unexpected shrimp deaths! About 2 or 3 months ago, I noticed a shrimp perished shortly after I re-adjusted the fan coral. He had looked pretty banged up for a few days, so I figured I had accidentally smashed him. A month ago, I noticed another random dead shrimp. I just saw a 3rd one last night. I haven't noticed a visible decline in the population otherwise, but it's possible there may be some other dead ones under rocks or in areas I can't see. The tiny tiny babies look great, though!

There has been no popcorn-ing or any other unusual behavior that I've noticed. I do very, very little to this tank, only feeding occasional tiny bits of shrimp pellets and topping up with distilled water. My big nerite occasionally gets out of the tank and ends up on the floor, but is always fine when I pop him back into the tank. Is it possible he's bringing bad stuff in with him, or is just too much for my little tank?

Should I get my water test kit out and see if I have a build-up of nitrates? Stop feeding entirely? Get some algae/moss (I only have one moss ball in there right how). Any tips appreciated!
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Random (or not) shrimp death?

Post by JennyPenny »

Shrimp deaths could suggest high ammonia to me. I would test ammonia right away. I would also stop feeding immediately and not feed for 3-4 weeks, or more. Make sure to remove any dead shrimp as soon as you notice them to prevent ammonia levels from rising.
Nerite snails need to be able to rest out of water. It's normal behavior. Do you have about 1/2 inch of space at the top of your tank? If not, remove some water so there is space for your snail. He could be falling out when he climbs above the water line to rest.
Is your moss ball from Mustafa's store?
NYCShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by NYCShrimp »

I'll test the ammonia as soon as I get home from work today! I only feed once every 3-4 weeks anyway.

There is plenty of room for the nerite (1/2 inch or more at the top). There are 2 in there, and one has never, ever made an escape attempt. Only the Tiger nerite likes to escape occasionally.

The moss ball is from Mustafa's store, and is the only plant life in there. I'm a little worried I don't have enough plants to keep the water clean?
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

It sounds like you are doing everything right. I think you should still test ammonia.
How big is your tank, how many shrimps do you have in there, and how long has it been set up for?
NYCShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by NYCShrimp »

The tank is about 2.5 gallons. This tank has been set up since February this year, but was upgraded from a 1Gal tank I started just about a year ago.

At this point, it has roughly 25 adult shrimp, and 11 babies from one batch of eggs that successfully went benthic about 2 months ago (impossible to count at this point!).

The tank has 1 Tiger Nerite and 1 Horned Nerite.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I wouldn't worry about not having enough plants. There are surface bacteria/algae/biofilm that take care of "cleaning" the water. Your hypothesis about the nerite dragging in unknown chemicals/stuff may have merit actually. It's went when it falls on the ground and you don't know what was on that spot before (maybe something got spilled? cleaning chemicals? Who knows...).

If there are no more deaths and everything seems fine I'd do nothing. But be careful with those nerites. I'd rinse them first before plopping them back in.
NYCShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by NYCShrimp »

Thanks so much Mustafa! This one Nerite Lyle definitely seems to collect a lot of dust whenever he makes an escape attempt, and who knows what he picks up. He'll be going back in my planted tank as soon as I know it's safe, following the great fenbendazole disaster.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You're welcome! :)