Starting the tank- instant ocean ?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Munakgirl
Larva
Larva

Starting the tank- instant ocean ?

Post by Munakgirl »

Hello, so I'm Going to be starting up a 5gl next weekend. My sister said she has a huge bucket of instant ocean at work that they can't use anymore because they don't keep salt water fish anymore. An said she could bring me a scoop or such if I wanted.

So how much would I need for a 5gl bucket?...

An it says you need to put an air stone or filter running to airate the water and mix it over night before adding to your tank...
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Starting the tank- instant ocean ?

Post by Varanus »

You'll need about half of the salt the package recommends, that will create the brackish environment. As for mixing the salt with water, what I did was just pour in the needed amounts of salt into gallon jugs of the distilled water you'll be using (if you have or can make a funnel to get the salt into the opening this will be less messy), shake the jug around a bunch to mix and dissolve the salt, then pour the now brackish distilled water into the tank.

Running a small filter for a bit could still be useful to remove any initial cloudiness from the water, depending on what substrate you are using.
Aloha919
Larva
Larva

Post by Aloha919 »

Get a hydrometer... They are cheap at Petco. I've had no problem with salinity 21-23 ppt.
Munakgirl
Larva
Larva

Post by Munakgirl »

Soo.... I got my salt, hydrometer, and distilled water.

I filled the tank with 4 jugs (gallons) of water then about 1 cup of salt. I also turned on a heater to help it warm up. An mixer it. Turned a bubbler on (its kinda weak... Maybe too much tubing. But it's new and I don't wanna shorten it cuz I'm giving it away after since I prolly won't use it after this) and the salt just will not disolve all the way.

How long does it take to disolve? I plan onjust mixing it every so often but it doesn't seem to help even if I mix for like 5 mins or so straight (my arm gets tired...)

Should I warm some water in the microwave first then mix it in a more concentrated way to disolve it then poor it in and shake n then add to the tank?

(Also... I didn't put the sand in yet cuz I wanted to make sure the salt was disolve first. I am gonna try to carefully add sand tomorrow when it's disolved and I test it.)
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Any luck with the salt dissolving? I can't advise on your situation since, as I said, I mixed the salt and water together before putting it in the tank.
Munakgirl
Larva
Larva

Post by Munakgirl »

Nope it never disolved. I looked it up elsewhere and found that it sometimes happens with instant ocean, especially with older batches or if it gets exposed to moister/air and clumps.

So I just sucked out all the salt left over. Remixed some water in the jug this time. Since it all doesn't disolve I have to constantly that the gravity since measuring the salt doesn't always work... but finally got it. I believe it's at about 1.011 right now. I added my sand and decorations tonight and will be testing tomorrow again.

If I do another tank or when I'm done with this salt I think I might change brands...
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

I had trouble mixing up Instant Ocean salt as well. I ended up heating up some water to help it dissolve but it didn't work very well. Next time I would mix the water and salt in gallon jugs and shake it and let it sit.
It sounds like you figured it out though. I would love to see a picture of your tank! What size is it? What substrate and decor are you using? :)
Munakgirl
Larva
Larva

Post by Munakgirl »

JennyPenny wrote:I had trouble mixing up Instant Ocean salt as well. I ended up heating up some water to help it dissolve but it didn't work very well. Next time I would mix the water and salt in gallon jugs and shake it and let it sit.
It sounds like you figured it out though. I would love to see a picture of your tank! What size is it? What substrate and decor are you using? :)

I will be posting some pics later (as I document things)
Here is a small preview
I'm planning on moving the thermometer, changing the light to something more white/blue as I don't like how yellow/orange it looks. And the bubbler will come out.

I'm using black aquarium sand, some random stones/shells, some lace rock and white Rock I got at the aquarium store, and a random piece of fake coral. (It was with the real coral but they had no real coral left and said they didn't know when they would get any...)

It's a 5gl half octogon. But only has barely over 4gls of water in it since has all the decor/sand.
JasonG3333
Larva
Larva

Post by JasonG3333 »

Based on you photos and the things you listed that make up your aqua-scaping in there, your water may not remain buffered enough due to the apparent lack of calcium carbonate material. The shells you mentioned are calcium carbonate, but those alone may not be enough to sustain a healthy level of water alkalinity. Had that piece of faux coral been real, then you would be good to go, especially for that size tank.

You may need to add more/larger shells, or some real coral (can find easily enough online if you can't locate in any stores), or swap that black sand out for some ARAGONITE substrate. Excrement and other debris in the water (most of which will be light in color) may eventually start showing itself against that dark sand, possibly making your tank look messy. Aragonite, being that is mainly various shades of white, will help to visually conceal all that waste to an extent, and will also take care of the water buffering for you. Maybe someone else with more experience with dark substrates can speak to what it could become visually as time passes.

I would also be sure that the shrimp have plenty of nooks and/or canopies that they can go into or under, not only to simply have these spaces in the tank for the animals to explore, but also so they can get out of the light emanating from the overhead tank light, if they so desire. I noticed my shrimp love hanging out in those shaded areas, so I made sure the aqua-scaping in my latest tank (my 3rd) consisted of plenty of areas like that.

Anyways, just my 2 cents! The main thing is being sure the water pH is right. Good luck, and keep us updated...!
Last edited by JasonG3333 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Munakgirl
Larva
Larva

Post by Munakgirl »

Yep I am on it! I got some real coral (overy in that left corner) and aragonize sand that it's on top of.

I also got some macroaglae in there now.

An the lace rock has tons of holes, and behind it is a large cave (I have it facing away only because I like the crystal in the front, and it gives them more privacy) the other lace rock also has some cave. I also plan on putting one or two fake floating things on top to provide a lil shade later on.

I'm still weirded out by not having any water movement for oxygen ... I feel like it needs a bubbler or filter... must resist.....
JasonG3333
Larva
Larva

Post by JasonG3333 »

Yes, do indeed resist all that equipment simply because it isn't necessary. I know it can be hard, especially if you have prior experience with aquariums, but just keep in mind that you're able to get away with not utilizing those tools simply because these particular animals (shrimp and/or snails) are so small - they don't produce enough waste to throw off the cycle, and they require very little oxygen. Also, you want all the algae growth that a filter would work to prevent. Also, any plant growth in there (such as the surface algae and the macroalgae you bought) is going to assist in oxygenating the water, what's called dissolved oxygen.

I wouldn't place any floating objects on the surface of your water column to create additional shade. You want all of that light hitting as much surface area inside your tank as possible to promote as much algae (or whatever) growth as possible for the animals to eat. The nooks and the like that you indicated you have already created should suffice for the shrimp.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

That looks great! And like I (and Varanus) said in another thread, it does look like all your rock is some type of calcium carbonate actually. :)
Munakgirl
Larva
Larva

Post by Munakgirl »

Thanks =3
An it looks like my ph is good. Just gotta wait for my liquid test to come in the mail (ordering tonight) to test to be extra sure. I tested with the lil strips but want to get a liquid test to be a bit more acurate.

On another note should I add a lil piece of cuttle bone for calcium?

I could add some eggshells from some boiled eggs in the meantime but thought a cuttle bone may be better looking then random eggshells
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You're welcome! :)
Munakgirl wrote:
On another note should I add a lil piece of cuttle bone for calcium?

I could add some eggshells from some boiled eggs in the meantime but thought a cuttle bone may be better looking then random eggshells
Not necessary. Your "limestone" rock is calcium carbonate and also supplies calcium. You're good.
Munakgirl
Larva
Larva

Post by Munakgirl »

Though I'm not sure it's limestone. Kinda looks like it but it want labeled.

I will ask next time I go to the fish store. She said something about the stones that give white powdery residue all producing calcium though... or something...