white spots in algae and on branches

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

jessieb
Egg
Egg

white spots in algae and on branches

Post by jessieb »

Hi, new here, I was wondering if someone could help me out, I have recently noticed tiny white spots all over the branch in my enclosed tank. The shrimp seem ok, but is there something I should be doing different? I have had the tank for over a year, recently it has gone into the corner of my desk instead of the outer area, could that be it? At first I thought they were bubbles, but they don't "shake" off. Don't worry i just tapped the glass a little. Thank you!!!!!
shrimp.jpg
Munakgirl
Larva
Larva

Re: white spots in algae and on branches

Post by Munakgirl »

Do you by chance have any nerite snails?
One of them may have come of age, or now finds it wants some babies... they look like snail eggs to me.
They will not hatch (or they die as they hatch....) in brackish water. They need full salt. But they still lay them sometimes an leave lil white dot's all over.

If you don't have snails then o.o... I dunno... someone else may chime in.
jessieb
Egg
Egg

Post by jessieb »

Wow, I googled imaged it and it looks very much like that! Problem is, no snails. I have a few snail shells but I have never seen them move and assumed they are empty. I do have some tiny copepods swimming around, I wonder if they can do anything? Thanks so much for answering though! I will get to the bottom of this!!!!
Munakgirl
Larva
Larva

Post by Munakgirl »

Hmm strange indeed.

Well if you do manage to figure it out before someone has any ideas, do let us know. I'm curious what it is now.

I wonder if any of the shells do have snails... unless you check that they are hollow, sometimes you rarely see some snails move around (some are nocturnal so only move around at night. So that's also a possibility)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Never seen this before. Are they still there? And how suddenly did they appear?
jessieb
Egg
Egg

Post by jessieb »

I think they have appeared over the last couple of months, and they actually do seem to be disappearing a little bit. I will keep an eye on those snails and see if they move positions. Had no idea there were nocturnal snails!!! Thanks guys!