So... I lost all but two shrimp

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Aloha919
Larva
Larva

So... I lost all but two shrimp

Post by Aloha919 »

I lost all but two shrimp from my 1.5 gallon tank . This is the tank that had the marine hermit crab deaths, I also posted a question about this black stuff growing in my sand which actually turned out to be beneficial bacteria .. I unfortunately think the crabs may have added something to the tank which caused my shrimp to die .
OK, so my question is if I completely clean the tank and put in new sand,can I use the same tank, coral rock and decorations ? Or, should I start from scratch ... I plan on thoroughly cleaning the coral and placing it out in the sun so the UV rays can kill whatever's in there, as far as the plastic plants go, is rinsing them off enough or should I bleach them? The image below is of the tank before the unfortunate deaths ,and the small display I have with the two healthy shrimp survivors.
Attachments
My only survivors 2
My only survivors 2
My only survivors
My only survivors
Tank of death
Tank of death
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: So... I lost all but two shrimp

Post by KenCotigirl »

You need to do what you are comfortable with. I would just clean everything in hot water and give them a good scrub. Then I would follow Mustafa's instructions for setting up a Super shrimp tank. Give the new tank a month or so to cycle then add your two shrimp. Resist the urge to add other animals or algae. The algae and snails Mustafa sells works. Most others don't. Once you have success try and experiment with a new tank.

Ken