MiniShrimps

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: MiniShrimps

Post by minishrimps »

What do baby snails look like? I saw a tiny,tiny white "worm like" critter cruising around quite quickly on the glass in my tank...
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

Baby snails look identical to adult snails, just very tiny. What you saw might be a worm! They are not unusual and can be a sign of overfeeding. Or, it could be a copepod, which is a tiny little crustacean. They can move around with jerky motions.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

JennyPenny wrote:Baby snails look identical to adult snails, just very tiny. What you saw might be a worm! They are not unusual and can be a sign of overfeeding. Or, it could be a copepod, which is a tiny little crustacean. They can move around with jerky motions.
Hmm, it's defintley not a copepod. It was worm like, and moved quickly. Not sure how a worm would all of a sudden appear in my tank 5 months later... I have not added anything new in this time and only fed them once a small amount of Hikari Shrimp cuisine...
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

minishrimps wrote:
JennyPenny wrote:Baby snails look identical to adult snails, just very tiny. What you saw might be a worm! They are not unusual and can be a sign of overfeeding. Or, it could be a copepod, which is a tiny little crustacean. They can move around with jerky motions.
Hmm, it's defintley not a copepod. It was worm like, and moved quickly. Not sure how a worm would all of a sudden appear in my tank 5 months later... I have not added anything new in this time and only fed them once a small amount of Hikari Shrimp cuisine...
Most likely it/they had been there for some time, just in low enough numbers that you only spotted one by chance now.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Just wanted to give everyone an update... Despite the dying off of my macro algae and moss ball in my shrimp tank, I now have several (about 10) small additions to my tank. And yesterday after I thought my trumpet snails had all died one emerged from the substrate and then I saw a tiny little snail cruising along my glass... so it seems I have a baby snail in addition to my growing shrimp population.... :D
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

That's great to hear. How about an update picture.

Ken
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

I'll try and throw up a pic soon... Anyone out there have experience with filters in their shrimp tanks? I know you don't need one for a shrimp tank but i was thinking about adding some of my shrimp to my filtered tank but worry about the potential of little shrimplets getting sucked against the intake sponge...
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

I used a bubble sponge filter. In order to make the filter useful you need to pump a lot of air. The air bubbles just disturbs the shrimp. Also filters are not needed for these shrimp

Ken
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

i use one, but its a 40B without it they seem unhappy, with it i have had nonstop breeding.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

jonesinfershrimp wrote:i use one, but its a 40B without it they seem unhappy, with it i have had nonstop breeding.
do you run an undergravel filter? or something with an intake and pre-filter? I moved about ten shrimp of varying size into my 5 gallon that runs a filter (just a little Azoo Mingon 60) mostly for water movement as I think the crabs I have in that tank need the cleaner water with some current. So far they seem to be enjoying it just fine... three of the shrimp I moved were tiny shrimplets and they seemed to be fine. Two of the adults molted within 24 hours... I actually think they were enjoying the water movement since they kept swimming back and forth through the current... I need to get my camera out and snap a couple pics... :D
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

its just a large air filter with a tetra whisper 10 that i cut back with a little screw adjuster. im sorry, i should have been more clear in my original post. for a long time it was growing a bunch of algae on it and its a gathering place for pregnant shrimp. but the algae is almost gone now. its interesting that they enjoy the flow from your filter. i had to turn the air down because it seemed like it was too stressful for them.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Here are a couple photos of my tanks.

This is my 2.5 gallon. My first tank, it's about 10 months old. It started with ten shrimp, ten trumpet snails, an algae ball and some macro algae. The macro algae in there now is some that I pulled from my crab tank since I had a collapse of macro algae in this tank. The macro algae in the crab tank is from this tank originally though and seems to live better in the other tank. In this pic you can see three generations of shrimp I have hatched on the glass on the right and center. And if you zoom in you can see one of my original purchased shrimp on the lava rock and one on the glass on the right. There are also a couple Zebra Horned Nerites in here and a couple baby trumpet snails. When i saw there were baby trumpet snails in this tank I moved my three mature trumpet snails to the bigger tank and replaced them with a couple Pipipi's to help keep algae down...
IMG_20161205_224335.jpg
IMG_20161205_224400.jpg
This is my 5.5 gallon tank where my crabs live. I have 5. There is one in a white moonshell on the coral. You can also see two molted skins from the crabs in the bottom right corner. (I had two crabs molt this weekend :o )There are also about 6 Pipipi Nerites in here. They are most active at night. I also moved one of my Zebra Horned Nerites in here. They are more active during the day and way more voracious than the Pipipi's. And I added about ten shrimp, three of my original purchased shrimp and the rest are all my spawn. There's one in this pic if you can spot him :D
IMG_20161205_224411.jpg
IMG_20161205_224516.jpg
Here are two of my crabs taking a break from the water on the rock "precipice"
IMG_20161205_224435.jpg
IMG_20161205_224422.jpg
And another shot where you can see one of my original shrimp. He has become more reddish in color since moving to this tank.
IMG_20161205_224533.jpg
(sorry these are a bit grainy, cell phone camera)
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Tanks look great. Thanks for the pictures
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

:smt023
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

New batch of larvae yesterday... I counted at least 9...