Difficulty Breeding Cherry Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

anacamille.tp
Egg
Egg

Difficulty Breeding Cherry Shrimp

Post by anacamille.tp »

Hi all,

I have a 7 gallon planted Cherry Shrimp aquarium. I have about 14 shrimp in the tank. I have a filter, a light and a heater. The tank is usually kept at around 74 degrees Fahrenheit. I feed the shrimp a variety of Northfin Krill Gold and Northfin Community premium fish food. At times I throw in a worm or two. I have had this tank for 7 months now and I just can't get them to breed. I don't have them on a regular feeding schedule, just kind of feed them when I think about it. I am also not very consistent with water changes. I wonder if those 2 things could be impacting their "mood".They do molt every once in awhile so I know they are growing. I do have a hair algae problem that I have observed affects their activity. When it's really hairy in there, they tend to hide more.

According to my research, the testing strips that I have are not very reliable. I have been using API 5 in 1 Test Strips. According to my last test, my GH was 60, KH 120, pH 7.0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0.

I am wondering if anyone has any tips of how to get them to breed.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Difficulty Breeding Cherry Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

If your nitrate is 0, it mean your plants are faster at removing NH3 than your filter turn it into NO3. You can turn it off if you want, it's only eating 02 and iron, plants are already doing his job. Also did your shrimp your shrimp berry at all or not? Maybe you have shimplets but they are caught inside your filter.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Difficulty Breeding Cherry Shrimp

Post by Mustafa »

A kh of 120 and a pH of 7 is very odd. Do you have CO2 injection?