Beginner!! Help pleAse :)

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Kneedles
Egg
Egg

Beginner!! Help pleAse :)

Post by Kneedles »

Hello everyone!

I got an ecosphere from my boyfriend for Christmas because I really wanted one! After I got it I was doing some research and realized how awful they are and now I want to free my shrimp! Anyone know how to go about opening one of these without hurting the shrimp? Also I know I need certain amounts of things in my tank but how do I test like the salinity and amonia levels and etc.? And will the shrimp on this site get along okay with the ones in my ecosphere? Also what food does everyone feed them and how much do they give them? I read on another site of a girl giving her shrimp Spira Lina powder, is that recommended? Also should I order the snails from this website or will other species of saltwater snails be okay? Also what products do people use in their tanks to get the saltines and the Calcium and stuff?
Sorry for all the questions I just have absolutely no idea what I'm doing haha! The only thing I know is I want my shrimp to be okay :D
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Beginner!! Help pleAse :)

Post by Varanus »

The following link should answer several of your questions but I'll answer what I can of what it doesn't below: https://www.petshrimp.com/set-up-a-supe ... tructions/
Kneedles wrote:Anyone know how to go about opening one of these without hurting the shrimp?
A number of members here have done this so I'll have to defer to their expertise in the matter.
Also I know I need certain amounts of things in my tank but how do I test like the salinity and amonia levels and etc.?
If you put in half the amount recommended for ocean salinity on the package then you shouldn't need to test the salinity, but if you want to be sure then you just need to buy a hydrometer. They're pretty cheap at pet supply stores.

As for testing for ammonia, the most accurate way is to buy a liquid test kit (again, sold in most pet supply stores), but in general if you follow the instructions given on the site you shouldn't really need to test unless you run into problems. I did though just to be certain.
And will the shrimp on this site get along okay with the ones in my ecosphere?
These shrimp don't really fight, though they may chase each other a bit over food, so there shouldn't be any real problems.
Also should I order the snails from this website or will other species of saltwater snails be okay?
Best to get snails adapted to brackish water like Mustafa's on the site, many saltwater snails may not survive in the lower salinity of a supershrimp tank.
Also what products do people use in their tanks to get the saltines and the Calcium and stuff?
Nature's Ocean is the most convenient salt mix where I am, but most any brand of salt mix intended for saltwater aquariums should work fine provided you make sure to add half the recommended amount. As for calcium there are many way to make sure there is always enough. I got a big piece of limestone holey rock in my tank, but some aragonite sand works just as well. Even egg shells can work.
babytulip07
Egg
Egg

Post by babytulip07 »

I just rescued my one surviving shrimp from an ecosphere this weekend. If you do a search on YouTube there are videos that show you how to do it.

Essentially, if you look on the bottom, there is a plastic seal with a glass piece in the middle. I used an X-acto knife to lift the plastic up and then cut it away. The glass stopper lifted up quite easily after removing the plastic seal. Then I very slowly and carefully poured my shrimp into a small bowl. You have to keep your eye on him so he doesn't get stuck on any of the gravel, decorations or the lip of the opening. Then I just poured him into my tank. :)
Kneedles
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedles »

Okay thank you guys!
I will post updates of my tank as I get it started!
One other question! Does anyone know how you tell a male from a female shrimp?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Kneedles wrote:Okay thank you guys!
I will post updates of my tank as I get it started!
One other question! Does anyone know how you tell a male from a female shrimp?
Females with developing eggs will have a dark spot visible inside their bodies, but beyond that (and of course when the female is carrying the eggs after laying them) I don't think there is a surefire way to tell just from looking at one swimming around.
Kneedles
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedles »

Thank you everyone for all the help! I'm about ready to get my tank up a ready but I just have a couple more questions!

I'm going to soak all the fake plants and rocks I got in distilled water for a couple days. I was unsuccessful at finding any real coral or limestone to add to the tank. I know that I can use egg shells help with the calcium in my tank, however I don't know how much or how often I have to replace the egg shells. Anyone know?

Also how long should I keep the tank going before I add the snails? I want some algae to be established so the snails have something to eat.. is a week okay? I am going to be using the 12 hour light schedule that was suggested.

Once the snails have been in the tank for a week, is it then okay to add the shrimp or do I have to wait longer?
Thank you for all the help everyone:)
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

I doubt you'll need to add more egg shells in the future, the calcium in them will remain in the tank after all and you won't be doing water changes. Most of the mineral needs are also met with what is in the salt mixture itself.

Biofilm (which provides food and consists of more than just visible algae) actually starts growing within a few days, so you can actually add snails within a short period if you want. To ensure enough food you can give them a tiny bit of fish food early on, just make sure it all gets eaten/remove leftovers after a few hours.

Basically adding macroalgae and snails you can get from Mustafa's site will speed the cycling, but you shouldn't be in a hurry to add shrimp. It could easily be a month before the tank is ready for them. Mustafa recommends adding the shrimp once you start seeing algae growth, whenever that occurs (and I am not sure if the green film that can grow on the surface counts). If you use water tests then you can add shrimp once the initial ammonia spike from the cycling goes down to a reading of zero.
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

To speed the process along, I used several bright led bulbs nearly touching the glass 24 / 7 and natural sunlight for 20 days. At 20 days I saw algae and then I added Fluval Cycle and the snails, shrimp and plants. At the same time, I quit using the artificial light. You can see what I have by looking at the post: Nanosphere 9

I probably didn't need to use Fluval Cycle but I did it anyway just to feel more secure.
Kneedles
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedles »

:D Thank you guys !

I have bought instant ocean to use in my tank to add the salt! Anyone have experience with this brand? I'm hoping I bought the right stuff!
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

That is what I used. :) just do half the amount of salt that the instructions read.