Sea water

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

AnotherKevin
Larva
Larva

Sea water

Post by AnotherKevin »

Hello. I'm setting up a small opae ula bowl, with crushed coral sand and lava rocks, and a piece of macro algae.

I have a couple of questions:
Is there likely to be any problem with using actual ocean water, mixed 50/50 with distilled water?
Also, how important are snails? I would prefer not to have any, if that won't make it difficult.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to ordering these shrimp once the bowl has some noticeable algae...
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Sea water

Post by KenCotigirl »

I can't see a real problem using 50/50 ocean water and distilled water. I am from NJ and I wouldn't. Our ocean water isn't the crystal clear Caribbean water and it would take me 40 minutes to get to the ocean. A ten minute drive to the local big box fish store and a few dollars for a small box of 'ocean/reef salt. I have my own ro filter but even then distilled water or ever bottled spring water costs a few bucks. Ocean water doesn't make sense. Where do you live? Where would you get your water?
Ken
AnotherKevin
Larva
Larva

Post by AnotherKevin »

I live in California. I go to a local aquarium store which sells ocean water which comes from the Monterey Bay. It looks clear, and it's cheap and convenient.

I've purchased their ocean water before (for raising Amano shrimp larvae). Looking closely at the water, I could sometimes see tiny little copepods flitting about. I assume anything like that will probably die in the brackish water, though.
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

I do not think it's a good idea to use half sea water with half distilled water. Not all of the organisms will able to survive the change to brackish water, and I think there will be a spike in ammonia when there is a die off.
I live in northern California and am familiar with Monterey, which is supposed to have some of the cleanest ocean water around. I still wouldn't do it. I would set the tank up, and just wait a few months. When you add the shrimp, the habitat will be perfect for them. These shrimp need an established tank.
You do not need the snails.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Usually the store bought ocean water has been filtered (not by the store, but wherever they get it from) and can be used safely. But, yes, I'd be careful about just going to the beach and collecting sea water as the water close to the shore tends to be the most polluted kind.