Supershrimp Mossballs vs. Marimo Balls

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Supershrimp Mossballs vs. Marimo Balls

Post by minishrimps »

I have a Mustafa moss ball that is growing in the tank with Mustafas macroalgae...

I separated the one ball I purchased into two balls. It was already naturally forming into two balls at the time. One got eaten (since apparently crabs will eat the moss ball, maybe it was the snails, who knows...), but the other has grown back to the size it was when I separated it...
nova
Egg
Egg

Post by nova »

minishrimps wrote:I have a Mustafa moss ball that is growing in the tank with Mustafas macroalgae...

I separated the one ball I purchased into two balls. It was already naturally forming into two balls at the time. One got eaten (since apparently crabs will eat the moss ball, maybe it was the snails, who knows...), but the other has grown back to the size it was when I separated it...

Thats interesting, maybe this will help it reproduce faster if that is what you are going for.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

If the light is too strong, then the both the macroalgae and the mossballs can suffer (i.e become paler, stop growth etc.), same applies to temps that are too high (82+). I would recommend just a basic low to medium intensity led light. Even reflected daylight is good enough.

The super shrimp mossballs form tiny little balls that then fall off and spread naturally, in most cases without you even noticing it (because they are very small). At some point you'll discover additional tiny balls seemingly out of nowhere (although they had been growing for months). I guess you could separate them into multiple pieces, but I have never done it so can't guarantee if they will form nicely into balls again if separated that way. Probably.
JennyPenny wrote:I'm sorry for not being clear. Sometimes what I write does not come across the way I intend it to. :)
Since the light in my tank makes the macro algae that I have pale green, I wondered if it would do the same to one of the moss balls from Mustafa (I don't have a moss ball yet). I have heard that strong sunlight can burn or damage marimos. I realize that these balls are not marimo, but wondered if too much light is bad for them, too.
My second question is, can you break Mustafa's moss balls into little pieces to propagate them, or will that kill them?