crystal shrimp infertility problem

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Notshrimpboy
Egg
Egg

crystal shrimp infertility problem

Post by Notshrimpboy »

I have several 10G tanks of crystal shrimps. In 2 of the tanks, I am using Fluval substrate. The others, I am using Flourite. RO water is used with a mineralizer with lots of plants in all the tanks (java fern, java moss, pelia). The pH=6.6, TDS=145 kH=1. Last year, I found that pH was drifting low so I added a teaspoon of crushed coral. That stabilized the pH at 6.6-6.8. Then I noticed that gH was increased from 4 to about 7-8. Even though the shrimps seem to be doing fine, they stopped breeding. The females were seldom berried. Even when a female become berried, she loses them before she carries to term. Has anyone have this experience of high gH causing infertility in crystal shrimp? Or, is this simply coincidental and the infertility is caused by something else. I would like to learn from your experience before I take out the crushed coral. Thanks for your help.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: crystal shrimp infertility problem

Post by Mustafa »

I wouldn't call it "infertility". Something in the water is obviously affecting the shrimp. I wouldn't worry too much about ph drifting lower..these shrimp can take really low ph..even below 6. As long as you do weekly or once every two weeks minimum water changes you don't have to worry about ph crashes. Take out the crushed coral and see if that helps.