New tank here as well. Suggestions are welcomed :)

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: New tank here as well. Suggestions are welcomed :)

Post by Edwin »

Plan A, best case scenario: I'm planning to cycle until ammonia hits zero and I see biofilm/algae.

Plan B: However if ammonia hits zero but biofilm/algae does not appear, I'll probably just wait another week or so before I get my shrimps and put them in.

All the above plans are subject to availability of opae ula stock at the local seller as well; currently the seller is low on stock so I'm really hoping there will be some left by the time my tank is ready; otherwise I'll cycle until the stock arrives.
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

Hi, just curious of your methods in transferring the opae ulas without disturbing the aquascape of the tank?

I have half a mind to transfer the shrimps I have in my small tank to the new bigger tank when it has been cycled.
Bob_99
Egg
Egg

Post by Bob_99 »

Hi Edwin,
I was thinking of moving some shrimp to another tank and was wondering how to transfer them without injury. Maybe put your thumb over the end of a plastic tube, stick the tube into the tank near the shrimp you want to move and release your thumb. The shrimp would be sucked up the tube, replace your thumb on the end of the tube, lift it out and into the other tank. I wouldn't move a berried female as it might disturb the eggs.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

They make small shrimp sized nets, they work fine. You can find them on amazon. I have also used extra large pipettes with the tips cut to increase the opening (from Carolina Biologic supply) to suck shrimp up from one tank and squirt them into the other. A turkey baster can also work but you might have to increase the size of the opening. Either way, BE GENTLE. I also, recently moved a shrimp from one tank to the other when I dropped her into the new tank I notice she was berried. She was fine and hasn't lost any eggs, but I don't think it's recommended... Generally, the less you mess with them the better off you are.
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

Thanks for the suggestions! Will consider them :)

What's the max population an 8 litre tank such as mine can accommodate? Or what's a good population that can still encourage breeding?
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Edwin your are asking two questions. 8 liters say up to 500 shrimp of various ages. 200 at least. Given time.

Breeding not sure of the limit. Food and water quality would be a limiting factor. I have a 4 liter tank with about 100 shrimp. Started with 25. They are rarely fed. 4-6 times a year. Breeding was swift then stopped. If I fed more they may breed more but greater chance of fouling water.

KenP
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Basically if you have males and females and good conditions then they will breed until the population reaches a high density, at which point breeding will either slow or stop.
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

4th week update

It has been 3 weeks of cycling. For the 3rd week, I decided to up the dosage of the Nite Out II beneficial bacteria by adding a few drops of it on alternate days. Now, I'll only add a bit once a week together with my Special Blend beneficial bacteria. At this point, ammonia is at a healthy level of below 0.1 while pH has risen to between 8 and 9.

Also, there's an unknown layer on water surface. You can also see brown blotches on water surface, which I think are beneficial bacteria.

I see some greenish patch on my ohko stone which I'm not sure if it is growing algae.

I have placed an order for my shrimps which should arrive between 1 to 2 weeks time :) I can't wait!

*unfortunately, somehow some photos can't be uploaded, esp those above 4 mb. Is there some restrictions?
Attachments
20170402_145329.jpg
20170402_151831.jpg
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

Anyone knows what's on the surface of the water in the previous post? Biofilm? Also, are the brown blotches found on water confirmed to be bacteria?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

I can't say its confirmed but the most likely answer to both questions is yes. There is probably some dust on the surface too but that can't really be fully avoided even with a top.

In general once surfaces start changing color in a tank it means bacteria and algae are growing. Perfectly normal.
Arquisto
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Arquisto »

Looks like a biofilm to me as well! Should server as some tasty food for the shrimp once you get them.
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

I just moved 4 of my shrimps from a small 2 liter tank to the new 8 liter tank but I forgot all about acclimating them. Will this kill them? I just wanted to test the water by putting them in to see if everything okay before putting the bulk of shrimps that I have ordered which will come in about 1 week.

Currently they are all pale from all the shock of catching them and transferring them and are considerably active exploring all the caves and nooks and crannies of the tank. Is that a bad sign of things? Or is it normal for them to do this?

I'll observe and update again in another 4 hours.

Should I take them out? Is there any danger leaving them in? Please advise!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

As brackish water animals they are adapted to handle rapid changes in salinity and other factors, so acclimation is not as big a factor as it is in many aquatic creatures. Taking them out now would probably just be unnecessary stress.
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

1 day in their new tank. I still see them swimming about which is something I'm not as used to since probably it's not much fun swimming in a small tank and there's not much distance to cover too. Sadly I do not think their colours are as red as they should be.

I left the lights on for about 14 hours today as I came home late from work. Does light make them uncomfortable?

How long do they take usually to acclimate?
Attachments
Floating Marimo island
Floating Marimo island
Hope they turn redder soon
Hope they turn redder soon
Arquisto
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Arquisto »

Photos look great! And if they're already swimming around and not hiding i hope its a sign that you did well with your water conditions and that they are happy.