Surface film and air exchange

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

travellife
Egg
Egg

Surface film and air exchange

Post by travellife »

Plus, the surface algae also help eliminate nitrates, phosphates and other organics from the water. That's one of the reasons why you do not need water changes.
I'm glad you mentioned this Mustafa, it seems when I remove surface film the shrimp are not as happy as when I leave it alone. Lately they've all been grazing on it upside down. But in a non-aerated shrimp vase is there a concern with too much surface film cutting off the exchange of outside air? Is there a way to differentiate between surface water film that consists of algae and that consisting of protein buildup?
Surface-Film.jpg
Shrimp-in-Java-Moss.jpg
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Blue green algae

Post by Stalker »

Your shrimps arent opae ula and your tank isnt brackish.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Got to agree with Stalker. Mustafa may move the posts to the shrimp forum.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yep...moving post. To answer the question...no a surface film won't hinder gas exchange between the surrounding atmosphere and your tank.
travellife
Egg
Egg

Re: Surface film and air exchange

Post by travellife »

Not sure how the subject changed to re: blue green algae or what the additional comments are about.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

travellife wrote:Not sure how the subject changed to re: blue green algae or what the additional comments are about.

You posted in the wrong forum and someone else's thread about the wrong shrimp (for the forum), so I moved your post to the right forum in your own thread.
travellife
Egg
Egg

Post by travellife »

Hey Mustafa -

Not sure how I messed up but thank you for moving this to the correct area of the forum. Haven't logged on in a while. You offered a lot of advice when I started my jarrarium. That surface algae eventually went away and I can't believe how crystal clear the water has been ever since. Still have all the babies, ended up being 18 total. I've invested in an API test kit, TDS meter, GH/KH test kit. Now I'm trying to decide if I should move them into a new 9 gallon tank I recently cycled or just let them stay where they are. Hard decision. If it ain't broke...
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

If you want you can move a few and see how they do.