Can Amano shrimp be kept with Opae Ula?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Can Amano shrimp be kept with Opae Ula?

Post by Ace »

I have a hair algae problem and need to get it under control. I thought that I have seen a video of an Opae Ula colony with Amano shrimp present. I thought I should ask here for confirmation.
AnotherKevin
Larva
Larva

Re: Can Amano shrimp be kept with Opae Ula?

Post by AnotherKevin »

No, Amano shrimp need to live in fresh water to be healthy.

(Amano shrimp live in rivers. Their larvae float down the river to the ocean and grow in salt water for a month or two, but once they grow out of their larval stage, they need to swim back up river into fresh water, or else they will die.)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

^^^^^^As he said. :) Also, Amano shrimp are way too large and active even if they could be kept in higher salinity water. They would probably either stress out the Supershrimp to death so they'd eventually either hide all the time or die (and get eaten by the Amano shrimp).

Your hair algae problem is a direct result of the overfeeding. The best way to get rid of it is manually...and then replace it with the Supershrimp Macroalgae. The hair algae will probably infest the macroalgae, but if you keep removing the hair algae the macroalgae will eventually prevail and take over the tank. I haven't had hair algae in my tanks for many, many years because of that.
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

I want to thank you both very much for your responses! However, I had already introduced a single inch to inch and a quarter male Amano shrimp in the sphere. I have been carefully observing since then. They seem to be getting along together but I can't help to feel uncomfortable about it being in there. Unfortunately, it does not appear that it has touched the hair algae. However, the larger nerites that I have recently added have been ocassionally chomping down on the hair algae. I did about a ten day feeding break that began before the Amano shrimp was introduced. It simply wasn't interested in the hair but it has been very busy grooming everything else. I wish I could trade it for a red nose shrimp but I can't find any available locally.

I am very set on the aquascape that I have envisioned and finally was able to order the black tree coral today. I do think that that macro algae would certainly help take out the hair algae but I'm not ready for that yet. I have noted how disturbed the shrimpies get when even the smallest thing is going on out of the norm. They really don't like to be disturbed. The hair algae is growing out of the marimo. Manual removal would entail a major disturbance. I'm going to wait longer and see what happens. Maybe, I should do manual removal when I finish the aquascape here soon.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The shrimp do swim around a lot when the tank gets disturbed, but they also settle down rather quickly (within a few hours at most), so removing hair algae once a week or two shouldn't be a big problem at all.
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

The Amano shrimp is still in there and just like one of the group.

The hair algae is still a problem. I have manually removed it a few times now.

I have stopped the power feeding months ago. I just wanted to stimulate reproduction.

I have randomly put some spirulina in there on ocassion but maybe, it's about once a month now. I really don't believe that feeding is necessary, especially when the habitat gets direct sunlight.

I am toying around with the idea of getting a female Amano shrimp. Honestly, I'd really like to get about 3 red nosed shrimp and see if they would eat the hair algae.