Have 8-year Old Ecosystem Shrimp - Not sure what to do

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Have 8-year Old Ecosystem Shrimp - Not sure what to do

Post by Varanus »

SuperProofer wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:23 pmAnother question: Once I mix their brackish water, do I have to let it sit for any amount of time before I add it to the tank, or can I just put it right in? Also, since I need such a small quantity, if I mix a 1/2 gallon worth (following the instructions from Mustafa's link), can I just pour only as much as I need for the jar or should I only make enough for the jar to begin with? (does that make sense??)

Thanks for all the help so far!
1. Mustafa recommends waiting until the new tank has started growing algae before adding shrimp. But given there is already algae in the ecosphere water you are adding, and there is only one shrimp right now, that may not be necessary. I'm not sure myself.

2. Provided all the salt dissolves then you should be able to pour as much as you need from any given amount of mixed water. You could try making only enough water for the jar, but I think it would be more difficult.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Varanus wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:15 am
1. Mustafa recommends waiting until the new tank has started growing algae before adding shrimp. But given there is already algae in the ecosphere water you are adding, and there is only one shrimp right now, that may not be necessary. I'm not sure myself.
Hi, yes, I know I need to wait until the tank cycles before putting the shrimp in. :) I was talking about just the water itself into the new tank. Once I mix it up, is there any amount of time I need to wait until I put it into the new jar to begin the cycling? I think I'm going to try to put as little of his current water in there as possible because it is so yucky looking. Probably only the water that comes with him when I catch him will go in there... when the time comes.

Thanks!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Provided it is distilled water you should be able to put it right in once its mixed. Just try to make sure all the salt has dissolved.
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

To answer your question about transferring the lone shrimp into its new home - the best way I've learned thru adding a few batches of new shrimp is to use a net. But I think it's a bit challenging given the tiny ecosphere situation. You can't really stick a net in there! I would recommend pouring the water out slowly into a net over another container, you'll catch the shrimp eventually.

And I don't think you have to worry about shocking them as much. Their natural enviroment rendered them resilient and adaptive. Mine survived a move, re-scaping, and more. As long as the water is cycled properly, it should be fine. Good luck!
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

Or just put the open ecosphere in the new tank, the shrimp will move by itself.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

I actually found a very small ladle that fits through the top of both tiny jars! I'm hoping to be able to scoop him up that way. :D
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

So, I had purchased a hydrometer not realizing you have to submerge it in the tank. Of course, that isn't going to work with my little jars. If I use Mustafa's method, do I even need to worry about measuring? I've seen conflicting information, so just want to be certain and do the best I can for Trooper (that's his name now). :wink:
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Provided you mix the recommended amount of salt fully then yes, no hydrometer should be needed. Plus the supershrimp have a fairly wide salinity tolerance, so even if its off a bit they should be fine.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

So here's the finished product of my 0.25 jar if anyone is interested (I put a paper towel behind it so you can hopefully see it better. Man, I can't believe how stressful that was for me! :shock:

Now to fill it with water and wait. Gonna try to use a turkey baster and go real slow to try to not disturb anything. Those sand balls that will inevitably form are going to irk me though! Lol

Thanks for your help everyone! I'll post again when it's further along.
Attachments
Nuevo Casa de Shrimp
Nuevo Casa de Shrimp
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Turkey baster worked! No bubbles or sand balls! :D
Noraelle
Larva
Larva

Post by Noraelle »

I am following this thread and look forward to more updates or tips (i.e. like the turkey baster idea). I am still purchasing supplies but am also planning on moving my 5 shrimps from an ecosystem to a much larger jar (one of the shrimps is over a year old as it came from an older ecosystem). By the way, did you try to "seed" the tank by adding some of the old ecosystem water into it? If you did anything special for the cycling that's not already listed in the Supershrimp set up the tank section, please do share!
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Well, I hope I can be helpful! :)

No, I haven't yet added any of his original water - it's just a little too yucky looking and I'm hoping it won't be necessary. I just followed Mustafa's directions and that's it. Have them sitting in the guest room with the blinds open so it gets indirect sunlight each day.

However, question for the group: I did notice there is already a very light amount of film on the top of the water (almost imperceptible - i have to tilt my head and look at it from a tilt in the light). I only started this tank yesterday - i don't think bio film could be forming that quickly, right? Perhaps it took me too long to get the decor arranged and I contaminated it somehow? Is this something I should be concerned about?

Otherwise, patiently waiting...
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

For historical records purposes: 1 week in, I haven't seen much change in the tanks (I guess that's to be expected). But, in an effort to help speed things along, I broke down and added just the tiniest bit of old water from Trooper's ecosphere. I used the old "finger on the end of the straw" trick to siphon some out and transfer it over. Not sure if that's enough to even make a difference, but we'll see!
Noraelle
Larva
Larva

Post by Noraelle »

Good luck! I've heard about people using adding things like biospira to speed things along, so I might consider that. I hope you see algae soon! By the way, are you keeping a lid on during cycling?
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

I did for the first few days, but then read that it helps to keep it off, so I left them on but cocked open at an angle to try to limit any debris that might get in while still allowing oxygen flow through. It's a room we rarely use, so debris would be minimal if any, but no need to take chances.