Q about tank decoration, substrate, and biospira

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Noraelle
Larva
Larva

Q about tank decoration, substrate, and biospira

Post by Noraelle »

Hello!
I finally got most of my materials and have a few questions:
1. Can shrimp get stuck in cone-shaped seashells? Should I go with the clam-shaped one to avoid them getting stuck? Also, how do I disinfect them?
2. When setting up the tank, do I need to let the aragonite sand dry before adding brackish water (wondering if it'll dilute it if it's wet)
3. If I want to use bio-spira to speed things along, when do I add it when setting up the tank and do I need to dose the tank more than once? (I'll be letting the tank sit for a couple of weeks before transferring my shrimps).

Thank you so much!
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Q about tank decoration, substrate, and biospira

Post by i<3Opae »

That's exciting! Hope your tank cycles smoothly. 1) Don't think so, as long as the opening to the seashell isn't obstructed - if they can get in, they can get out. 2) Generally the substrate is a small part of the tank setup, so I don't believe the moisture will dilute the tank water. 3) I would follow the instruction on the bottle. You can put it in as soon as your water is in. During the first few weeks my tank started to cycle, I added it daily. Then it was down to once every few days. If your test results show high ammonia or nitrite, you can add more bacteria.
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Q about tank decoration, substrate, and biospira

Post by Stalker »

Noraelle wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:57 pm 1. Can shrimp get stuck in cone-shaped seashells? Should I go with the clam-shaped one to avoid them getting stuck? Also, how do I disinfect them?
I dont think but you can breack the top or/and drill some holes for better circulation and escaping. If the shell is "dirty", I mean with dried flesh, make it wet and put it next to an ant mansion, it will be fresh within a day. For desinfection you can boil it.
Noraelle wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:57 pm 2. When setting up the tank, do I need to let the aragonite sand dry before adding brackish water (wondering if it'll dilute it if it's wet)
I dont understand your question
Noraelle wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:57 pm 3. If I want to use bio-spira to speed things along, when do I add it when setting up the tank and do I need to dose the tank more than once? (I'll be letting the tank sit for a couple of weeks before transferring my shrimps).
Dont use it, it's useless.