Moving House -- How to move shrimp?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

erica
Larva
Larva

Moving House -- How to move shrimp?

Post by erica »

Hey all!

It's been a while since I posted here, but my shrimp and snails are doing fantastically. It's a rare day when there aren't tiny newly-hatched shrimp bobbing around the surface, with multiple berried females skittering around. Lots of baby snails too!

I'll be moving to an apartment this fall/winter, though, and I was wondering how best to do that. I may upgrade them to a 10 gallon while I'm at it, so any advice on switching a population to a new tank is also appreciated.

Pictures will come tomorrow -- the lights are off in the tank at the moment!
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Moving House -- How to move shrimp?

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

glad to hear the shrimp are doing good. im moving my tank soon too. im very nervous though. so if i move mine before you move yours ill share how i did it. i have an idea of how im going to do it, but i dont know how well its going to work.
Cakelake
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cakelake »

When I moved to a new place I took about 50% of the tank water out for transport and put plastic wrap and then the tank top over the tank. I left all of the shrimp in the tank as well. Also, I put their tank in a bucket and filled the gap between the bucket and the tank with towels. There were no casualties in the move and the sediment was not disturbed or stirred up during transport which was nice! They’re all doing very well in the new home!
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

I recently moved, and have moved tanks many times. This is the method I used.
I take about half the water out of the tank and save it in a bucket. I put my corals in the bucket of water so no shrimp would get hurt if the corals shifted or fell when the water sloshed around in the car ride. Then I put saran wrap around the top (you could also use a plastic bag) and hold it in place with a rubber band. When you get to your destination, just reassemble the tank and add the saved water back to it. The last time, I did have one tiny shrimp in the bucket when I put everything back together later, but it survived the trip just fine.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The absolute safest way is to catch all the shrimp you can, put them in a bucket with the tank water, put a lid on the bucket, and then move the tank and the shrimp (and preferably all the water in containers) to the new location. Catching lots of shrimp of course takes lots of time. Alternatively you can just lower the water level so that just about 2-3 inches of water is left, so the tank can be carried without problems with the shrimp still in the tank. Then move the tank. You just have to make sure that the substrate doesn't get disturbed too much by sloshing water as the shrimp can get buried under the substrate and die...this is especially the case with a sand substrate.
Bennifgot2
Egg
Egg

Post by Bennifgot2 »

There is many pet and animal shipping available inside US which are very professional in moving them. I always suggestion to opt for these pet shipping agency.
A few days before moving, change 15 – 20% of the water each day to make sure the water is clean. In addition, it will lower the stress factor on the inhabitants.
Shrimp do not like big and (or) frequent water changes. Actually, it is a recipe for disaster.