Spirulina Powder gives off red plume?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

lynxo323
Egg
Egg

Spirulina Powder gives off red plume?

Post by lynxo323 »

I bought Hawaiin Spirulina powder and put a little in my 5 gallon tank, SG 1.010

The Spirulina powder is giving off a red plume while it's disolving in the water, is this normal?
Not sure red is red trichomes(?), google and didn't see anything about reddish color.

The plume is like when you blow out a candle, the shape of the smoke is same in the water from
the spirulina powder, best I can described it.
Keystone
Larva
Larva

Re: Spirulina Powder gives off red plume?

Post by Keystone »

I've noticed it as well....the spirulina I've been using came from Kansas. I haven't noticed any negative effects. I have been feeding it to ostracods, fairy shrimp, Gammarus, Daphnia and snails.
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

Probably carotenoids.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I would stop feeding it. Red is weird for Spirulina..it's supposed to be entirely dark green.
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

Mustafa wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:08 pm I would stop feeding it. Red is weird for Spirulina..it's supposed to be entirely dark green.
No mustafa, it's really full of carotenoids, wich can get in the water faster than chlorophylla. There is nothing bad, it happens with some bags of spirulina.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I know it's full of carotenoids...mostly beta carotene and zeaxanthin, but in my literally almost 20 years of using spirulina for various purposes I have never seen anything red come out of it...unless my memory is failing me of course. :-D The carotenoids should be bound in there pretty tightly in normal spirulina. The fact that some red is coming out of there probably means the spirulina has deteriorated to a certain degree. A picture of the red plume would help of course.
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

Hi
I just bought spirulina powder too when it dissolvwd gets red and sometimes blue?? Is it dangerous?
Please let me know?
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

No.