Do shrimp hide as much in shrimp only tanks?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Swervedriver
Egg
Egg

Do shrimp hide as much in shrimp only tanks?

Post by Swervedriver »

In aquariums with other fish, shrimp tend to hide most of the time coming out at night to forage. In shrimp only tanks, within time, do the shrimp come out of hiding more often?

The species I currently have are bumble bee, amano, cherry, tiger, and blue/rainbow and red nose/rhino.
BlueEL
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Do shrimp hide as much in shrimp only tanks?

Post by BlueEL »

Hey welcome Swervedriver, I see that you are from Toronto. Let me take a guess, you got all your shrimps from Menagerie. :-D

I have a shrimp only tank, they never affarid to come out during the day time, and just as active as at night. Once the shrimps feel secure enough, you will see them out more often looking for food.
Swervedriver wrote:In aquariums with other fish, shrimp tend to hide most of the time coming out at night to forage. In shrimp only tanks, within time, do the shrimp come out of hiding more often?

The species I currently have are bumble bee, amano, cherry, tiger, and blue/rainbow and red nose/rhino.
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by retardo »

my shrimp don't hide at all from the fish. in some cases, as with the amanos, they are bigger than the fish. the fish tend to leave them alone.
jojoecute
Egg
Egg

Post by jojoecute »

Hi dear all....
Very happy to joint you guys here....

I just started keeping shrimps...
All my shrimps are happily crawling aroung hunting for food..

And use long bamboo chopstick to pick up moulted shell and they like to clink onto the bamboo. I even bring it to the nearest moss and take picture for them..
51Cornell
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by 51Cornell »

All our shrimp are in shrimp/snail only tanks and no one hides ever. They're out cruising around day and night, coming to the surface when they see me approach (the bringer of all things good and tasty).
Swervedriver
Egg
Egg

Post by Swervedriver »

BlueEL, you guess correctly! Word gets around about Menagerie's shrimp supply. Once I got word of them I had to check the store out, and I eventually left with 8 shrimp.

Well, it's good to hear from others that their shrimp come out of hiding once they realize that no predators are around. Now I'm anxious to get my tank setup for them. It will be fun trying to catch most of them for the transfer from my 38gal planted tank. :shock:

And I'll definitely drop by Menagerie again.
BlueEL
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by BlueEL »

I believe Menagerie is only LFS in TO which carries many different type of shrimps. We are considering pretty lucky to get them at a LFS, since many hobbyists have to go through so much troubles to ordered them online which is pricey if you include the shipping fees. Menagerie's price is very reasonable.

I just bought few more cherries on early this week, hope to breed them in my 5G tank. :-D I heard Menagerie will have a new shipment of shrimps coming in this friday. I will keep my fingers crossed since they havent able to get any shipments of shrimps for the last couple weeks already.

Swervedriver wrote:BlueEL, you guess correctly! Word gets around about Menagerie's shrimp supply. Once I got word of them I had to check the store out, and I eventually left with 8 shrimp.

Well, it's good to hear from others that their shrimp come out of hiding once they realize that no predators are around. Now I'm anxious to get my tank setup for them. It will be fun trying to catch most of them for the transfer from my 38gal planted tank. :shock:

And I'll definitely drop by Menagerie again.