Berried Shrimp

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

kimuh72
Egg
Egg

Berried Shrimp

Post by kimuh72 »

It's been about 3 month since I started my tank and my son found berried shrimp the other day.
what should I do? let me have your expertise.
Attachments
IMG_0506.jpg
Arquisto
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Berried Shrip

Post by Arquisto »

Not much!
Some people have set to avoid feeding it cause in their frenzy they may drop the eggs. So I took that precaution when i saw my first berried shrimp.
I fed mine some spirulina last week thinking all my females had released their clutches only to find out I had a hidden new berried come out and it didn't look like she dropped her eggs so it could just be a myth.
I'd say avoid disrupting your tank.

By the way nice stones!
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

Congrats! All you want to do is top off the water. I did too and feed one time and the berried female eventually dropped all of her eggs while the other berried female held onto them. Don’t be surprised if they drop some especially if they’re first time mothers. Now just sit back and relax for the next 50+ days until they hatch lol. Also they like hiding spots, so that usually helps as well but if you don’t have any for them it’s not that big of a deal.
crittersni
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crittersni »

Congratulations!! Sit back and enjoy. If you weren't doing it right, you wouldn't have any berried shrimp!!

Very shortly after I found my first berried shrimp I saw some ghost shrimp and had a couple more berried shrimp. The first one dropped all but 2 of her eggs. I was devastated until I saw the others.

Buy a magnifying glass if you don't have one. My first babies (grandshrimp) hatched on 6/2. They bobbed until about 6/18 when I saw several on my decorations. 6/19 I saw my first swimmers. I still have berried and partially berried (all didn't hatch at once?) shrimp. They hide well, but now I have bobbers, swimmers and feeders. No idea how many. I've seen about 8-10 at a time, and sometimes only 3-4. They hide.

I've been assured by others on this site (thanks again to all) that the adults and snail will not bother them, and they were right. I can't wait until they grow some more and swim more.

I don't feed often. I tried shrimp wafers once, and the seemed to fight over them so I took them out.. Now I use a mortar and pestle (small ceramic one found on Amazon) to grind any algae pellets/wafers. I only put a VERY small pinch in. There are plenty of finely ground pieces (imagine green pepper) that are too small to fight over.

For size, on the right is an air bubble.
with air bubble.jpg
Have fun. Keep doing what you've been doing. I hope you are as excited as I am!!
20180604_164845.jpg
kimuh72
Egg
Egg

Re: Berried Shrimp

Post by kimuh72 »

Hi..

I started my tank since 4/18 and I never fed.
also, new babies were hatched around end of June and I never feed them anything.

now, there are more berried shrimps.
do you think I have to start feed them?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

kimuh72 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:32 am I started my tank since 4/18 and I never fed.
also, new babies were hatched around end of June and I never feed them anything.

now, there are more berried shrimps.
do you think I have to start feed them?
Do you have visible algae? So long as you do there is probably no "need" to feed them, though they'll still appreciate the occasional treat. If you don't see any algae then you can try feeding a small amount every month or so, just make sure it is all eaten within a couple hours.

Its especially important to avoid feeding too much when the larvae are around, as they seem more sensitive to water conditions.
kimuh72
Egg
Egg

Post by kimuh72 »

Hi

thanks for your expertise.
I do not see any brown algae around tank glass. I only saw it before I put my 1st supershrimp. Brown algae was gone right after 1~2 days when my 1st 10 supershrimps came in.

tank is clean as mirror, so I don't have to clean at all. (much easier than when I had fish tank).
I am a bit worried as I have 30 grown ups now and 10 babies.
As I see couple more berried shrimps, I assume my tank will have 40 shrimps soon.

that is worrying as no sign of algae and only food source they have is Supershrimp Macroalgae.
Further, I have 10 snails which just began laying eggs..

since I started only w/ 10 super shrimps and 10 snails, with population change, I doubt Macroalage growth alone may not enough for them.
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

Like varanus said you should be fine. You can feed them a small amount every once in a while if you’d like. They’re always picking at microorganisms that you can’t see. Get a magnifying glass and look at your tank. You might see tiny specs of algae.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

As others have said, don't worry about them running out of food. If that were the case you wouldn't have reproduction. :) Even if there isn't anything visible growing on surfaces, there's still "stuff" (biofilm) growing. It doesn't have to be brown or green or even visible. But as Varanus said, you can put a tiny bit of food in there every month or two and go from there.

By the way, the snails you got from me don't lay eggs, they produce mini-snails.